Skip to main content

That's my philosophy

Sometimes, people inquire as to my motivations for doing what I do (in education, that is). Naturally, I talk about the fantastic health care, the amazing salary, the flexible hours, and the spacious offices. (To say nothing of the private showers, the chilled Glenfiddich, the indoor driving range, the array of vintage ‘80s video games like Donkey Kong and Q*Bert, and what not.) Given that I teach a course in human sexuality, one of my major motivations is to change people’s attitudes about sexuality – being safer and more integrated sexual beings, understanding the internal and external factors that contribute to one’s notion of “man” and “woman” and “gay” and “straight” and “moral” and “immoral” and on and on. But I teach one section a semester to a population that probably should have gotten the information years earlier, so it can be a pretty confounding experience, especially when I have to undo some “facts” that they’ve learned in the past. And especially when the Pope gets involved.

You might have heard that, in a recent speech on St. Patrick's Day, Pope Benedict XVI defied decades of unquestionable science with respect to condoms and AIDS by saying that condom use would “aggravate the problem” of HIV infection in Africa. Now, granted, that’s pretty much the Papal company line; in 1990, Pope John Paul II said that condom use was a sin under any circumstances. So like any multibillion-dollar corporate entity, The Vatican is in full spin mode, modifying Benedict’s recent idiocy by altering the text of his speech to suggest condoms “risked” aggravating the problem. Of course, this is the same Pope that has offered Papal recognition of clergy that are overt Holocaust deniers, so a Bizzaroworld declaration that condom use increases the likelihood of HIV is about par for the course.

It’s just another example of what Harry Frankfurt wrote in his 1986 essay On Bullshit. In Frankfurt’s philosophical perception, “bullshit” is the willful obfuscation of the truth for opaque and/or mendacious purposes. When scientists have known for decades that proper condom usage drastically reduces the spread of HIV – and when in the face of that knowledge a person continues to trot out the same damnation of contraception when the motivations for said damnation are all too clear – people have to call bullshit on that. When tens of millions of dollars (conservatively) have been pumped into abstinence-only sex education – and decades of data show that the only measurable effect of such education is higher pregnancy rates when those abstinence-only teens make sexual mistakes, as they have no knowledge base with respect to easy and affordable contraception – people have to call bullshit on that.

[Want some actual data by actual researchers? The teen birthrate (“teen” here being females age 15-19) in the U.S. is 42.5 per 1000 girls, far and away the highest in the industrialized world. England, our nearest partner in global hegemony? A not-so-close second at 26.7 per 1000 girls. Our eh-bors to the north in Canada? 13.3. And those hypersexualized oily French? 7.8 per 1000 girls. In short, we are failing our young American girls in the worst possible manner.]

So what is my major motivating factors behind teaching, and why do I see myself teaching until I am broken-down and dessicated? Because I have an ever-expanding and evolving knowledge base that compels me to call bullshit until I am brown in the face. And because you, dear reader, have a responsibility to call bullshit when you leave my class after being empowered by said knowledge.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NBC -- Never Believe Contracts

Whatever side you're falling on in the recent NBC late-night "deck chairs on the Titanic " shuffle, you have to admit it's been good comedy for all parties involved. While Letterman and Craig Ferguson have been sharp (especially Letterman, who has been gleeful in his "I told you so" vitriol), the best bits have come from Leno and O'Brien. Evidence: It's hard to follow all the angles here, but two things are clear: NBC violated Leno's contract (guaranteeing the 10pm slot), and NBC didn't violate O'Brien's contract (which made no time slot guarantees). So it's not hard to see who the loser here will be. O'Brien won't get the show he wants, Leno will step into a hollow echo of his past success, and tens of millions of dollars will be up in the air. Only Jimmy Fallon will continue to gestate his talent relatively unmolested, and his security is merely a function of the low expectations of his time slot. Meanwhile, CBS (a

"The Silver Gun" by Robert Palmer (1983)

I mean...Urdu? Seriously, Urdu . On an already eclectic and worldly album -- Pride , from 1983 -- "The Silver Gun" closes a chapter in Robert Palmer's career by singing a song about a horse in a language spoken daily by over 100 million people. The liquid bass line and propulsive electronics set out a bedrock for Palmer to ping phrasings rather out of place in Western music, askew astride even the peripatetic minimalism of the rest of the record. Somehow, in the middle of Michigan's Appalachia, I had this on vinyl a few years before the CD era officially commenced. It was an album of effort -- even the cover, a pointillism-and-bronze work, had Palmer's head barely above the water -- but the stitches didn't show to my pre-adolescent eyes and ears. In a career marked by zigs and zags, Pride and "The Silver Gun" were most certainly Other, and for a kid that felt like he didn't belong much of anywhere, it was nice to have those discrete feeling

"I'll Drive You Home"

Upon reflection, I’ve had a fortunate life in the area of work. As a freshly minted teenager, I would visit Evergreen Park Grocery and dream of someday working there like my father did, and at the age of 14, I got $2/hour to live out that dream, such as it was. From there, I yearned to try other occupations, from record stores to teaching, and I’d be chuffed to tell Young Erick that both of those things happened in due course. ( Oh, and Young Erick, one of them got you to meet David Bowie, and one of them got you to own houses and cars, so I’ll let you ponder on which one was better. ) I even got to DJ a bit here and there, and while it never hit the heights of a professional radio gig, it was certainly better than the summer I played preset cassettes on my boom box for a nerd camp dance while my unrequited crush stayed in her room. What I never crossed off my professional life list was acting, either regular or voice, but while I still yearn for that big breakthrough -- seriously, ask