Skip to main content

Three Of A Kind

This past weekend, I was on the road for over a thousand miles, driving from Petoskey to Detroit to Grand Rapids and there and back and whew and whoa and hither and yon. The purpose? Three concerts in Detroit and two days of AAU volleyball for my niece's team. [And they finished third out of twenty teams, so not so bad for the youngest and almost-tallest of my relatives.] I can't remember the last time I saw three shows back-to-back-to-back, so I set off on the adventure not knowing what to expect.

Holy Fuck wsg Crocodiles [Friday @ The Magic Stick] -- I've been to the Magic Stick dozens of times over the years, but this was my first visit since they've added an outdoor patio and bar, which offers a nice vantage point to bathe in top-notch urban decay. But for the most part, I stayed indoors to watch the bands, and was more than happy with my decision. After slogging through a local opening band (--yawn--), the San Diego duo called Crocodiles fired up the red lights and drum machine and fuzz-rocked the crowd into pleasant agitation. It's nice to see a "rock" band with some intention; Crocodiles clearly want to blend early-'80s Echo & The Bunnymen with white-boy blues (and some Jesus & Mary Chain to boot), and their assimilation is respectable, especially for a debut. Holy Fuck bring the instrumental electronic rock-funk (similar to later Trans Am) that would cause a normal crowd to shake their asses, but Detroit crews are content with the indie-boy head-nod, which is as much of an affirmative as one can hope for. They pulled out their propulsive jams with skill and verve, which made it a good start to the weekend.

The Tragically Hip [Saturday @ The Fillmore Detroit] -- Now, I'm not a virgin to The Hip, as I've seen 'em a few times before in Grand Rapids years ago. [I even met the band, and you'll never find a nicer bunch of multiplatinum Canadian rockers.] When people ask me what they sound like, I always default to a rocking Canadian version of R.E.M. with a shot of off-kilter yet endearing weirdness. Saturday's show was the second in a row for The Hip; this is a band that fills arenas and stadiums in their home country, but hasn't quite found a foothold in America. And that's a shame, because if a band was ever ready for their U.S. coming-out party, it's The Hip. They have the fist-shaking anthems, they have the slow burners, they have the sing-alongs, and in lead singer Gordon Downie, they have a honest-to-Dog compelling frontman. He did some impromptu mime, he mouthed dialogue to himself that only he could hear, and yet he reached folks from the front row to the back of the balcony. I honestly didn't know what to expect from the show, but I should have known I wouldn't be disappointed. In fact, I can't wait to see them again. [Hopefully without as many drunken Canadian lads in my ear; one guy actually said he was "looking to score some trim," a pussy-hunt phrase that I thought went out with MC Hammer pants.]

Fischerspooner wsg Ssion [Sunday @ The Majestic] -- I've also seen Fischerspooner before, but it was years ago, when their first record was a quasi-hit, with tracks like "Emerge" goosing a packed house that watched an old-fashioned event in place of a concert. But time rolls along, and their commercial flower has faded; their recent third record came and went in four seconds, and the Majestic was at 1/3 capacity. After the opener Ssion gamely pimped his queer-yet-engaging dance-pop (everything about Ssion can be summarized in the title of his catchy closer "Street Jizz"), Fischerspooner laid down the most overtly theatrical performance in my recent memory. It was art-pop with dancing, mirrors, costumes, wit, verve, and a winking nod to the artifice of a "rock show" in the 21st Century. In other words, it was totally awesome. The crowd that was there experienced a singular moment of performance, and those that missed it have no idea what they could have experienced.

So that was the weekend -- buzzing booty-shaking post-punk, skewed yet sterling Canuck rock, and performance-art pop. Couldn't have asked for three more diverse artists, and couldn't have asked for a better three-day weekend of music. But oh boy did I sleep when I finally got home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NBC -- Never Believe Contracts

Whatever side you're falling on in the recent NBC late-night "deck chairs on the Titanic " shuffle, you have to admit it's been good comedy for all parties involved. While Letterman and Craig Ferguson have been sharp (especially Letterman, who has been gleeful in his "I told you so" vitriol), the best bits have come from Leno and O'Brien. Evidence: It's hard to follow all the angles here, but two things are clear: NBC violated Leno's contract (guaranteeing the 10pm slot), and NBC didn't violate O'Brien's contract (which made no time slot guarantees). So it's not hard to see who the loser here will be. O'Brien won't get the show he wants, Leno will step into a hollow echo of his past success, and tens of millions of dollars will be up in the air. Only Jimmy Fallon will continue to gestate his talent relatively unmolested, and his security is merely a function of the low expectations of his time slot. Meanwhile, CBS (a

"The Silver Gun" by Robert Palmer (1983)

I mean...Urdu? Seriously, Urdu . On an already eclectic and worldly album -- Pride , from 1983 -- "The Silver Gun" closes a chapter in Robert Palmer's career by singing a song about a horse in a language spoken daily by over 100 million people. The liquid bass line and propulsive electronics set out a bedrock for Palmer to ping phrasings rather out of place in Western music, askew astride even the peripatetic minimalism of the rest of the record. Somehow, in the middle of Michigan's Appalachia, I had this on vinyl a few years before the CD era officially commenced. It was an album of effort -- even the cover, a pointillism-and-bronze work, had Palmer's head barely above the water -- but the stitches didn't show to my pre-adolescent eyes and ears. In a career marked by zigs and zags, Pride and "The Silver Gun" were most certainly Other, and for a kid that felt like he didn't belong much of anywhere, it was nice to have those discrete feeling

"I'll Drive You Home"

Upon reflection, I’ve had a fortunate life in the area of work. As a freshly minted teenager, I would visit Evergreen Park Grocery and dream of someday working there like my father did, and at the age of 14, I got $2/hour to live out that dream, such as it was. From there, I yearned to try other occupations, from record stores to teaching, and I’d be chuffed to tell Young Erick that both of those things happened in due course. ( Oh, and Young Erick, one of them got you to meet David Bowie, and one of them got you to own houses and cars, so I’ll let you ponder on which one was better. ) I even got to DJ a bit here and there, and while it never hit the heights of a professional radio gig, it was certainly better than the summer I played preset cassettes on my boom box for a nerd camp dance while my unrequited crush stayed in her room. What I never crossed off my professional life list was acting, either regular or voice, but while I still yearn for that big breakthrough -- seriously, ask