Skip to main content

The Coachella 2010 Wrap-Up

This is now the seventh year I’ve been to the Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival, and it just doesn’t get old. Sure, it gets tedious at times – the late late nights, the snarls of snail-paced traffic, the choking dust, the pungent body odors, the ample rolls and folds of flesh on display with regard for neither self-esteem nor gravity – but still somehow, as the warm winds blow across the night sky of ground-lit palm trees and shadowed mountains, it seems like a transformative place of joy and wonder each and every time I go. And the bands aren’t too shabby, either.

This year was far more crowded (75,000 three-day tickets presold, which adds up to a record attendance), and at times one could feel the difference with the overabundance of fellow humans. But the coordination of those masses hummed as smoothly as it could under the circumstances, and given my height, there was never a shortage of good views. The heat wasn’t as intense (if you can call high 80’s and low 90’s “less intense”) and the grass of the polo field stayed green for longer than I can remember.

Friday started off with a dense traffic jam getting there, which meant that my first intro to Coachella ‘10 didn’t happen until around 3pm (hello, As Tall As Lions). From there, it was the usual peripatetic hop between stages and tents, sometimes hanging out for a full set, sometimes not. I saw entire sets from Sleigh Bells, Yeasayer, Gil Scott-Heron, and Little Dragon; also, I managed to see bits and pieces from the aforementioned As Tall As Lions, Aeroplane, She & Him, La Roux, Them Crooked Vultures, LCD Soundsystem, Vampire Weekend, Jay-Z, and Fever Ray. Hard to pick a favorite among all those goodies; right now, I’m torn between the buoyant spa-pop of Little Dragon and the intense jazz-blues of Gil Scott-Heron, but the post-punk-disco of LCD Soundsystem always brings a smile to my face and a spring to my shoes, and it did so again on Friday.

As always, there were omissions galore, as I didn’t see as much of LCD as I would have liked (which wasn’t so bad, given that I’ve seen them before & that I’ll see them in a few months at the Pitchfork festival). And I missed the bright and shining dance-pop of Passion Pit entirely (which my friend Brian said was his highlight of the weekend) as well as both Grizzly Bear and Echo & The Bunnymen, casualties of scheduling. But that’s what you get with Coachella: you see all the great bands on the line-up, knowing that a few of the ones you want will be playing opposite each other, and you deal with the set-times conflicts.

And so it was for Saturday as well. Traffic forced me to miss John Waters and Porcupine Tree (two separate acts, although it would make for an interesting mixture) and the Iceland volcanic ash caused the cancellation of Bad Lieutenant and Frightened Rabbit. But I still managed to hit some full sets (Gossip, Dirty Projectors, Faith No More, Muse, Die Antwoord) and some partial sets (The Temper Trap, Girls, Hot Chip, Flying Lotus, Devo, 2ManyDJ’s), which made for a fun day. What were the scheduling conflicts? Well, I couldn’t see The Raveonettes, The xx, Z-Trip, or MGMT due to other demands, but again, that’s the nature of the beast: You could send five different people to Coachella and get five different experiences, each rich in his/her own way. But this person was delighted to finally see Mike Patton and FNM in person (singing ‘70s FM soul hits “Reunited” and “Ben” as well as gems from the FNM catalog) and the propulsive and compelling set from Devo. And the infectious energy of Beth Ditto live and unfiltered would make anyone a fan of the Gossip after just one song, especially when they threw in a cover of “Pull Up To The Bumper” from Grace Jones as the closer.

Sunday was a weird scheduling day, with plenty to do in the afternoon and just a few offerings in the evening. There was the ash-related cancellation of Delphic, Gary Numan, and the Hypnotic Brass Ensemble with which to contend, which left me bummed on all counts. But it’s hard to complain when your day is filled with full sets (Mayer Hawthorne and the County, Florence and The Machine, Phoenix, Owen Pallet, Little Boots, The Big Pink) and partial sets (Charlotte Gainsbourg, Spoon, Gorillaz, Thom Yorke) of high quality. Thankfully, every full set was a favorite: Hawthorne covering ELO and NERD, Phoenix taking a hit-laden victory lap, Pallet’s gorgeously intricate sonic constructions, and The Big Pink letting their anthem “Dominos” hit like an atom bomb of awesome. Again, the hard choices meant missing some potentially cool acts (Sly Stone, Pavement, Jonsi, Deerhunter, De La Soul, Miike Snow), but as my friend Brian and I walked to our car for the easiest departure of the whole weekend, we were happy and spent and tired and already speculating about Coachella 2011. My vote is for Blur, David Bowie, and Metallica as headliners, but I’m sure I’ll take whatever the Coachella brain trust has to offer. They haven’t let me down yet.

BTW, don't just take my word for it. Here's what Spin has to say about Coachella. And here's the Pitchfork version.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NBC -- Never Believe Contracts

Whatever side you're falling on in the recent NBC late-night "deck chairs on the Titanic " shuffle, you have to admit it's been good comedy for all parties involved. While Letterman and Craig Ferguson have been sharp (especially Letterman, who has been gleeful in his "I told you so" vitriol), the best bits have come from Leno and O'Brien. Evidence: It's hard to follow all the angles here, but two things are clear: NBC violated Leno's contract (guaranteeing the 10pm slot), and NBC didn't violate O'Brien's contract (which made no time slot guarantees). So it's not hard to see who the loser here will be. O'Brien won't get the show he wants, Leno will step into a hollow echo of his past success, and tens of millions of dollars will be up in the air. Only Jimmy Fallon will continue to gestate his talent relatively unmolested, and his security is merely a function of the low expectations of his time slot. Meanwhile, CBS (a

"The Silver Gun" by Robert Palmer (1983)

I mean...Urdu? Seriously, Urdu . On an already eclectic and worldly album -- Pride , from 1983 -- "The Silver Gun" closes a chapter in Robert Palmer's career by singing a song about a horse in a language spoken daily by over 100 million people. The liquid bass line and propulsive electronics set out a bedrock for Palmer to ping phrasings rather out of place in Western music, askew astride even the peripatetic minimalism of the rest of the record. Somehow, in the middle of Michigan's Appalachia, I had this on vinyl a few years before the CD era officially commenced. It was an album of effort -- even the cover, a pointillism-and-bronze work, had Palmer's head barely above the water -- but the stitches didn't show to my pre-adolescent eyes and ears. In a career marked by zigs and zags, Pride and "The Silver Gun" were most certainly Other, and for a kid that felt like he didn't belong much of anywhere, it was nice to have those discrete feeling

"I'll Drive You Home"

Upon reflection, I’ve had a fortunate life in the area of work. As a freshly minted teenager, I would visit Evergreen Park Grocery and dream of someday working there like my father did, and at the age of 14, I got $2/hour to live out that dream, such as it was. From there, I yearned to try other occupations, from record stores to teaching, and I’d be chuffed to tell Young Erick that both of those things happened in due course. ( Oh, and Young Erick, one of them got you to meet David Bowie, and one of them got you to own houses and cars, so I’ll let you ponder on which one was better. ) I even got to DJ a bit here and there, and while it never hit the heights of a professional radio gig, it was certainly better than the summer I played preset cassettes on my boom box for a nerd camp dance while my unrequited crush stayed in her room. What I never crossed off my professional life list was acting, either regular or voice, but while I still yearn for that big breakthrough -- seriously, ask