Skip to main content

The Concerts: 2001

I was getting ready for my classes on the morning of September 11th when someone stopped by my office and told me that one of the Twin Towers had been hit by an airplane. And when I tried to dial up CNN and the page wouldn't load, I knew that something was up. But I can't say that I had even the slightest inkling that some monumental social and cultural changes were afoot, although my examination of terror management theory in grad school sure provided a sadly applicable framework for the subsequent American responses to such a fundamental challenge of worldview. And to this day, I'm still wrestling with questions w/r/t the immediate and subsequent aftermath of such a tragedy.

Should the immediate investigation have been a local law enforcement action, with help from the FBI and CIA, instead of what followed in the days and weeks and months?

Should the rebuilding process have begun almost instantly, to send the appropriate "fuck you" message to terrorists, the new Twin Towers as middle fingers of steel and concrete thrust in the direction of extremists and fearmongers?

Should more people have pointed out the not-insignificant problems of declaring a war on "terror" as if a governmental assault on a transient emotion would ever be "successful" by any metric, as wars on "poverty" and "drugs" have been?

And should those people who sacrificed their time and energy -- and in some cases, their lives -- not be showered with the best health care that this country can provide, by both bipartisan and national unanimity?

Hard to see those things now, let alone back then. In 2001, I saw shows:

Placebo / Idlewild [St. Andrew’s Hall 4.30.2001]
Air / Sebastian Tellier [Clutch Cargo’s 6.28.2001]
Rammstein [Clutch Cargo’s 7.22.2001]
Area One Festival (Moby, etc.) [DTE Energy Music Theatre 7.24.2001]
Area One Festival (Moby, New Order, etc.) [The Gorge, George, WA 8.3.2001]
Midnight Oil [Clutch Cargo’s 10.26.2001]
The Strokes [St. Andrew’s Hall 11.17.2001]

Not a lot of shows, to be sure, but all shows of high quality. Random memories:

-- Often, people ask me about the best show I've ever seen, and it's a question that's a lot like the one about your favorite song or movie, with the answer depending on your feelings and memories at the moment of the question's asking. Having said that, one of my most fondly remembered shows was the Placebo / Idlewild gig at the end of April, especially the Idlewild portion.

It's rare to encounter a band as they are just beginning to gel as a live unit playing an especially strong album (100 Broken Windows in this case), but HOLY SHIT did Idlewild rip that venue up. When people talk about "barely contained energy" and "coruscating guitars" and "stalking the stage" and all those other cliches, they were describing Idlewild's set. And they gave Placebo a goose in that Placebo -- no live slouch themselves -- charged through their set with just a bit extra. Proof that on any given night, you might see magic in a live performance, even in a dessicated joint in downtown Detroit.

-- When one hears that Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins) will be touring with New Order, and that they will only play some West Coast dates of Moby's Area One festival, one can't get a flight to Seattle fast enough. I'd seen the Area One festival's stop in Michigan -- a couple of members of OutKast's entourage had a strong interest in my then-girlfriend -- but I had to see the show at the Gorge as well.

Of course, with that much buildup there had to be a letdown: Corgan was content to be a sideman, and NO member Gillian Gilbert wasn't there on the keyboards, so their set was somewhat perfunctory despite some rare-at-the-time run-throughs of Joy Division songs. But I enjoyed the experience in sum total, as the Gorge remains the most scenic and gorgeous of outdoor venues. And I got to see prostitutes and a moose on the round-trip drive from and to Seattle, so that has to count for something.

-- Rammstein had fire. Lots and lots of fire.

2002 saw a ramp-up in concert attendance, mostly due to my expanding music contacts due to my time at Record World in Petoskey. But even though there weren't gobs and gobs of shows in 2001, it's still a memorable time for all the right reasons, even though I have to go through a Rapiscan contraption every time I fly in and out of big cities.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NBC -- Never Believe Contracts

Whatever side you're falling on in the recent NBC late-night "deck chairs on the Titanic " shuffle, you have to admit it's been good comedy for all parties involved. While Letterman and Craig Ferguson have been sharp (especially Letterman, who has been gleeful in his "I told you so" vitriol), the best bits have come from Leno and O'Brien. Evidence: It's hard to follow all the angles here, but two things are clear: NBC violated Leno's contract (guaranteeing the 10pm slot), and NBC didn't violate O'Brien's contract (which made no time slot guarantees). So it's not hard to see who the loser here will be. O'Brien won't get the show he wants, Leno will step into a hollow echo of his past success, and tens of millions of dollars will be up in the air. Only Jimmy Fallon will continue to gestate his talent relatively unmolested, and his security is merely a function of the low expectations of his time slot. Meanwhile, CBS (a

"The Silver Gun" by Robert Palmer (1983)

I mean...Urdu? Seriously, Urdu . On an already eclectic and worldly album -- Pride , from 1983 -- "The Silver Gun" closes a chapter in Robert Palmer's career by singing a song about a horse in a language spoken daily by over 100 million people. The liquid bass line and propulsive electronics set out a bedrock for Palmer to ping phrasings rather out of place in Western music, askew astride even the peripatetic minimalism of the rest of the record. Somehow, in the middle of Michigan's Appalachia, I had this on vinyl a few years before the CD era officially commenced. It was an album of effort -- even the cover, a pointillism-and-bronze work, had Palmer's head barely above the water -- but the stitches didn't show to my pre-adolescent eyes and ears. In a career marked by zigs and zags, Pride and "The Silver Gun" were most certainly Other, and for a kid that felt like he didn't belong much of anywhere, it was nice to have those discrete feeling

"I'll Drive You Home"

Upon reflection, I’ve had a fortunate life in the area of work. As a freshly minted teenager, I would visit Evergreen Park Grocery and dream of someday working there like my father did, and at the age of 14, I got $2/hour to live out that dream, such as it was. From there, I yearned to try other occupations, from record stores to teaching, and I’d be chuffed to tell Young Erick that both of those things happened in due course. ( Oh, and Young Erick, one of them got you to meet David Bowie, and one of them got you to own houses and cars, so I’ll let you ponder on which one was better. ) I even got to DJ a bit here and there, and while it never hit the heights of a professional radio gig, it was certainly better than the summer I played preset cassettes on my boom box for a nerd camp dance while my unrequited crush stayed in her room. What I never crossed off my professional life list was acting, either regular or voice, but while I still yearn for that big breakthrough -- seriously, ask