Skip to main content

Coachella 2012 Weekend Two


When I saw that Coachella 2012 was rolled out for two consecutive weekends as the exact same festival, I immediately set aside time and cash for both – one with my friend Brian, and one with my lovely girlfriend Coco.  (We even called the weekend Cocochella, for maximum cuteness.)  Brian and I signed up for the first cold-as-ice weekend, and I flew out of and back to Detroit; it made for a bit of a drive there and back, but a flight with no stops was what I wanted.  However, Coco and I made the innocent mistake of flying out of Pellston, which ended up pushing back our arrival into Palm Springs the night before by at least five hours, which made for a series of unplanned pains in the ass.  (Seriously, our asses hurt from so much sitting.)  The only benefit was at Hertz, who put us into a new white Mustang instead of the car I’d reserved.  Once we got out to Palm Springs, however, I noticed it was warmer than when I’d left it a few days ago.  Quite a bit warmer.

There's no way around it -- Coachella 9.2 (my ninth straight year of attendance, second weekend) was hot.  I’m not just talking about “hot for Palm Springs this time of year,” but actual north-of-100s temperatures every single day.  (In fact, it wasn’t below 105 for any of the days we were there.)  So out came the 100 SPF sunscreen and the hats and the multiple bottles of water, and still it was some intense shit to endure.  But despite the scorching temps, the “sanctified moments” were thankfully still in abundance.

Part of the fun for me was watching Coco experience Coachella for the first time; I could watch her take it all in, and I could have my own first-time experience of having the one I love by my side as I used port-a-potties.  After we hydrated, we took in all the sets Friday had to offer, from the full (Gary Clark Jr., Madness, Pulp) to the partial ( EMA, SebastiAn, Madeon, Death Grips, Dawes, GIRLS, Arctic Monkeys, Atari Teenage Riot, Mazzy Star).  For me, Pulp still ruled the day, but Madness – as the sun went down and the merciful shadows came – entertained effortlessly.  Then again, I'm old.

Saturday was the hump day for weather, much like it was the weekend before – you knew what to expect, but it still kicked you in the vitals, no matter how much shade you hid in.  Thankfully, the music provided ample distractions, be they full gigs (Feist, St. Vincent) or partial performances (Noel Gallagher, Bon Iver, Radiohead, Andrew Bird, tUnE-yArDs, Jeff Mangum, Jacques Lu Cont, Laura Marling).  It was nice to see that Jeff Mangum, the Neutral Milk Hotel leader who held the stage alone, was in fine voice; also, watching Feist guide her big band through her catalog (which mercifully didn’t include “1 2 3 4”) was an evening pleasure.  And St. Vincent was just as killer this weekend as she was the weekend before.  After just a touch of Radiohead, it was off to the exits.

Sunday started just before noon, with the full set from Fanfarlo, one of Coco’s favorites.  Thankfully, they were up to the task, giving their best material some solid performances.  After Fanfarlo – the only full set we saw Sunday – it was a simple matter of endurance, and although we enjoyed some bits and pieces here and there (Lissie, Metronomy, First Aid Kit, Real Estate, Santigold, Fitz and the Tantrums), it was clear that we both had reached the wall.  So even though we left some shows on the table – with special regret for missing Justice and Florence + The Machine and Beruit – we decided that the hotel pool and a sit-down restaurant and blissful sleep in air conditioning was the winning bet.  So for the first time, I left a Coachella day in the daylight, which turned out to be the easiest Coachella exit I’ve ever had.  And we both knew it was the right decision when, on the way back to the hotel, we saw a restaurant by the name of Coco’s.  A great postscript to a wonderful weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NBC -- Never Believe Contracts

Whatever side you're falling on in the recent NBC late-night "deck chairs on the Titanic " shuffle, you have to admit it's been good comedy for all parties involved. While Letterman and Craig Ferguson have been sharp (especially Letterman, who has been gleeful in his "I told you so" vitriol), the best bits have come from Leno and O'Brien. Evidence: It's hard to follow all the angles here, but two things are clear: NBC violated Leno's contract (guaranteeing the 10pm slot), and NBC didn't violate O'Brien's contract (which made no time slot guarantees). So it's not hard to see who the loser here will be. O'Brien won't get the show he wants, Leno will step into a hollow echo of his past success, and tens of millions of dollars will be up in the air. Only Jimmy Fallon will continue to gestate his talent relatively unmolested, and his security is merely a function of the low expectations of his time slot. Meanwhile, CBS (a

"The Silver Gun" by Robert Palmer (1983)

I mean...Urdu? Seriously, Urdu . On an already eclectic and worldly album -- Pride , from 1983 -- "The Silver Gun" closes a chapter in Robert Palmer's career by singing a song about a horse in a language spoken daily by over 100 million people. The liquid bass line and propulsive electronics set out a bedrock for Palmer to ping phrasings rather out of place in Western music, askew astride even the peripatetic minimalism of the rest of the record. Somehow, in the middle of Michigan's Appalachia, I had this on vinyl a few years before the CD era officially commenced. It was an album of effort -- even the cover, a pointillism-and-bronze work, had Palmer's head barely above the water -- but the stitches didn't show to my pre-adolescent eyes and ears. In a career marked by zigs and zags, Pride and "The Silver Gun" were most certainly Other, and for a kid that felt like he didn't belong much of anywhere, it was nice to have those discrete feeling

"I'll Drive You Home"

Upon reflection, I’ve had a fortunate life in the area of work. As a freshly minted teenager, I would visit Evergreen Park Grocery and dream of someday working there like my father did, and at the age of 14, I got $2/hour to live out that dream, such as it was. From there, I yearned to try other occupations, from record stores to teaching, and I’d be chuffed to tell Young Erick that both of those things happened in due course. ( Oh, and Young Erick, one of them got you to meet David Bowie, and one of them got you to own houses and cars, so I’ll let you ponder on which one was better. ) I even got to DJ a bit here and there, and while it never hit the heights of a professional radio gig, it was certainly better than the summer I played preset cassettes on my boom box for a nerd camp dance while my unrequited crush stayed in her room. What I never crossed off my professional life list was acting, either regular or voice, but while I still yearn for that big breakthrough -- seriously, ask