Skip to main content

"Trash" by Suede

Suede (or the London Suede for the would-be U.S. audiences that never materialized) managed a nifty trick in the '90s Britpop scene -- they were ahead of the game and behind the curve, laying the foundation for countless bands yet failing to reap the full rewards.  Their first splash came with their '93 self-titled debut, before Britpop was even a twinkle in the eye of the Gallaghers, with a decidedly English glam flavor providing an alternative to the U.S.-led pathogen of grunge.  And in the duo of singer Brett Anderson and guitarist Bernard Butler, Suede had the best U.K.-born creative duo since Morrissey and Marr.  But like their progenitors in The Smiths, the tensions between Anderson and Butler proved to be too much, with Butler leaving Suede in '94 after their second album Dog Man Star.  As most punters saw Butler as the creative genius behind Suede, it was assumed that Anderson would make his rumoured drug addiction a full-time gig, with Suede being relegated to "what if?" status.

But that's not the way it turned out.  With Anderson nabbing a teenage guitar whiz named Richard Oakes to fill the unfillable void left behind from Butler's departure, the re-debut of Suede exploded in '96 with Coming Up, featuring the first track and lead single "Trash."  Gone was the dark glamour of their first two albums, replaced by bright metallic pop that kept their original essence alive while adding a glittering sheen, an Ecstasy hit for a glowering artiste.  And while the full flower of Britpop bloomed in '95, one year before Coming Up, the new Suede fit perfectly into the revivified British scene that they themselves helped to create.

It goes without saying that I hopped on the Suede bandwagon from the first flush, reading about them in the pre-internet British trade mags, buying the import singles to get the b-sides, playing the CD's over and over again at work despite the slights from co-workers who didn't quite see the appeal of the output of some flouncy fuckers from across the pond.  And when Butler left, I was gutted; I never got to experience the phenomenon of The Smiths firsthand, and just as I finally found a Smiths for my life and times, it was pulled out from under me.  So when Suede was able to conjure up Coming Up and that oh-so-perfect "Trash," I stupidly thought that this could finally break them in America, which was horribly naive and ultimately impossible.  But on the radio station of my mind (and I have that station quite well-constructed in my imagination -- the call letters would be WHAT, which is pronounced "Hate Radio" with bumpers that shout "WHAT?" at the listener, and that's just for starters), "Trash" has always been on repeat, a perfect sample of teenage angst set to a glam-rock stomp and wailing chorus, as close to a burst of dopamine as I have in my musical collection.  And I can't wait to hear it again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NBC -- Never Believe Contracts

Whatever side you're falling on in the recent NBC late-night "deck chairs on the Titanic " shuffle, you have to admit it's been good comedy for all parties involved. While Letterman and Craig Ferguson have been sharp (especially Letterman, who has been gleeful in his "I told you so" vitriol), the best bits have come from Leno and O'Brien. Evidence: It's hard to follow all the angles here, but two things are clear: NBC violated Leno's contract (guaranteeing the 10pm slot), and NBC didn't violate O'Brien's contract (which made no time slot guarantees). So it's not hard to see who the loser here will be. O'Brien won't get the show he wants, Leno will step into a hollow echo of his past success, and tens of millions of dollars will be up in the air. Only Jimmy Fallon will continue to gestate his talent relatively unmolested, and his security is merely a function of the low expectations of his time slot. Meanwhile, CBS (a

"The Silver Gun" by Robert Palmer (1983)

I mean...Urdu? Seriously, Urdu . On an already eclectic and worldly album -- Pride , from 1983 -- "The Silver Gun" closes a chapter in Robert Palmer's career by singing a song about a horse in a language spoken daily by over 100 million people. The liquid bass line and propulsive electronics set out a bedrock for Palmer to ping phrasings rather out of place in Western music, askew astride even the peripatetic minimalism of the rest of the record. Somehow, in the middle of Michigan's Appalachia, I had this on vinyl a few years before the CD era officially commenced. It was an album of effort -- even the cover, a pointillism-and-bronze work, had Palmer's head barely above the water -- but the stitches didn't show to my pre-adolescent eyes and ears. In a career marked by zigs and zags, Pride and "The Silver Gun" were most certainly Other, and for a kid that felt like he didn't belong much of anywhere, it was nice to have those discrete feeling

"I'll Drive You Home"

Upon reflection, I’ve had a fortunate life in the area of work. As a freshly minted teenager, I would visit Evergreen Park Grocery and dream of someday working there like my father did, and at the age of 14, I got $2/hour to live out that dream, such as it was. From there, I yearned to try other occupations, from record stores to teaching, and I’d be chuffed to tell Young Erick that both of those things happened in due course. ( Oh, and Young Erick, one of them got you to meet David Bowie, and one of them got you to own houses and cars, so I’ll let you ponder on which one was better. ) I even got to DJ a bit here and there, and while it never hit the heights of a professional radio gig, it was certainly better than the summer I played preset cassettes on my boom box for a nerd camp dance while my unrequited crush stayed in her room. What I never crossed off my professional life list was acting, either regular or voice, but while I still yearn for that big breakthrough -- seriously, ask