Skip to main content

Room 237

Every time I've taught my Contemporary Film class, I've found at least one or two students who don't seem to grasp and/or enjoy the exploration of implicit meaning in films. The idea that symbolism and latent content percolates beneath the veneer of narrative (or, in some cases, is the narrative) just sits wrong to those folks for some reason; I can even remember a student from many years ago in a class I taught on Stanley Kubrick asking me why films had to mean anything.  (He plagiarized a final project and failed the course.)

I was reminded of that student after reading about the upcoming film Room 237, a documentary covering some rather interesting interpretations of the meanings potentially contained within The Shining.  In general, film criticism over the decades has shifted from a more modernistic and canonical approach -- one of objective content knowingly delivered by the filmmaker with full intent and purpose -- to the more recent postmodernist perspective, which contrasts the "objective" views with the notion that the motivations of the filmmaker can be disconnected from a multitude of subjective interpretations dependent on culture, gender, power, and myriad other factors.  Needless to say, the postmodernist angle is a lot more rich and entertaining, with "truths" being open for debate and discussion and debate.

The postmodern approach works best in film when one has the oeuvre of an auteur, or one who controls most of what is seen and heard on screen, and Kubrick certainly fits the auteur bill. After releasing one instant cinematic classic after another -- Dr. Strangelove ['64] to 2001: A Space Odyssey ['68] to A Clockwork Orange ['71] -- Kubrick hit a commercial stumble in 1975 with Barry Lyndon. While the classical storytelling and painterly compositions (helped in no small part by his cinematographer John Alcott) were embraced by the more patient film audiences in Europe, Kubrick wanted his next film to be a box office success in the U.S., so he optioned the work of an up-and-coming horror writer named Stephen King for his next project.

While The Shining seemed to piss everyone off upon its 1980 release -- King bitched that Kubrick whiffed on the horror, Kubrick fanatics blanched at the perceived populist move -- it was the commercial success Kubrick wanted, and despite the general perception of opportunity missed at the time, it has seemingly increased in esteem and popularity in the intervening decades.  But how to reconcile clear continuity errors in the work of such a control-oriented auteur has driven analysis of The Shining down more countless rabbit holes than any other Kubrick film, and it's these dark crevices that Room 237 begins to explore and examine.  Some appear to hold more weight than others -- for one, the evidence that The Shining is Kubrick's coded apology for filming the faked 1969 moon landing footage is, shall we say, scant -- but ultimately, it's the joy of intellectual adventure that drives this hypervigilant hunt for clues buried inside of clues that may not even exist in the first place. And Room 237 delivers on that front with ease.

The thing about being a Kubrick (semi-)scholar is that I've heard most of the interpretations put forth in Room 237 -- the coded depictions of genocide (both Native American and Jewish), for example -- as well as other compelling possibilities not elaborated upon in the film, such as the the twinning of the creative impulse to more murderous ones, as well as the erosion of communication in modern relationships as represented by the use of language. (The latter interpretations depend upon Jack's profession as a writer as a starting point, a point shared by King in the book; however, Kubrick's main deletion from King's work -- the boiler room of the hotel metaphorically connected to Jack's alcoholism -- impacts those interpretations either a little or a lot.) But no matter the perspective, the fact that one artifact can refract so many attempts to probe and peruse is tremendously engaging to those who can tolerate ambiguity and the possibility of art to challenge and frustrate.

And it sure as hell makes me want to watch The Shining again.

(P.S. -- If my memory serves, I had early exposure to The Shining through my childhood love of Stephen King's books, but my first real connection was spending the night at my paternal grandparent's house one dark winter night in 1980 and seeing the commercial for the film on television.  I was only a few years older than Danny -- our haircuts were even a bit similar -- and to hear the still-unsettling score combined with the visuals of Danny being chased through a snowy maze of vegetation by his ax-wielding father was more than a little disturbing.  In fact, I was so frightened by the ad -- not the movie, mind you, but the single television commercial for the movie -- that instead of leaving my bed on the living room couch and winding through the dark maze of my grandparent's house to go to the bathroom, I peed in my grandmother's potted plants by the big picture window, never taking my eyes off the night-black woods on the other side of that too-thin window glass, as if Jack would pop up into my field of vision while I was in mid-stream and take a swing at me with his oh-so-sharp ax.  Here's Johnny, indeed.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NBC -- Never Believe Contracts

Whatever side you're falling on in the recent NBC late-night "deck chairs on the Titanic " shuffle, you have to admit it's been good comedy for all parties involved. While Letterman and Craig Ferguson have been sharp (especially Letterman, who has been gleeful in his "I told you so" vitriol), the best bits have come from Leno and O'Brien. Evidence: It's hard to follow all the angles here, but two things are clear: NBC violated Leno's contract (guaranteeing the 10pm slot), and NBC didn't violate O'Brien's contract (which made no time slot guarantees). So it's not hard to see who the loser here will be. O'Brien won't get the show he wants, Leno will step into a hollow echo of his past success, and tens of millions of dollars will be up in the air. Only Jimmy Fallon will continue to gestate his talent relatively unmolested, and his security is merely a function of the low expectations of his time slot. Meanwhile, CBS (a

"The Silver Gun" by Robert Palmer (1983)

I mean...Urdu? Seriously, Urdu . On an already eclectic and worldly album -- Pride , from 1983 -- "The Silver Gun" closes a chapter in Robert Palmer's career by singing a song about a horse in a language spoken daily by over 100 million people. The liquid bass line and propulsive electronics set out a bedrock for Palmer to ping phrasings rather out of place in Western music, askew astride even the peripatetic minimalism of the rest of the record. Somehow, in the middle of Michigan's Appalachia, I had this on vinyl a few years before the CD era officially commenced. It was an album of effort -- even the cover, a pointillism-and-bronze work, had Palmer's head barely above the water -- but the stitches didn't show to my pre-adolescent eyes and ears. In a career marked by zigs and zags, Pride and "The Silver Gun" were most certainly Other, and for a kid that felt like he didn't belong much of anywhere, it was nice to have those discrete feeling

"I'll Drive You Home"

Upon reflection, I’ve had a fortunate life in the area of work. As a freshly minted teenager, I would visit Evergreen Park Grocery and dream of someday working there like my father did, and at the age of 14, I got $2/hour to live out that dream, such as it was. From there, I yearned to try other occupations, from record stores to teaching, and I’d be chuffed to tell Young Erick that both of those things happened in due course. ( Oh, and Young Erick, one of them got you to meet David Bowie, and one of them got you to own houses and cars, so I’ll let you ponder on which one was better. ) I even got to DJ a bit here and there, and while it never hit the heights of a professional radio gig, it was certainly better than the summer I played preset cassettes on my boom box for a nerd camp dance while my unrequited crush stayed in her room. What I never crossed off my professional life list was acting, either regular or voice, but while I still yearn for that big breakthrough -- seriously, ask