Skip to main content

R.I.P. Brent Koschtial


If I'm not mistaken, I believe this picture is from the 1988 Roscommon High School yearbook. The guy on the right with his eyes shut -- as many of my pictures from this era seem to feature, as if I was constantly dreaming my life -- is me. The name of the young lady in the middle is lost to the fog of my memory, sadly. But the guy in the lower right is Brent Koschtial, with whom I graduated that year. Two young adolescent males, both in the Academic Top 10 of the class, with the best in life yet to come. Or at least that's what I thought for me at the time.

Because if you wanted to be a kid in Roscommon in the mid to late '80s with the best in life already in place, you wanted to be Brent Koschtial. He checked all the boxes -- handsome and athletic, personable and intelligent, dating the girl everyone wanted to date -- that I could never hope to tick. And best of all, he wasn't a dick when he certainly could have been one, given his clear superiority to nearly everyone around him. While we weren't especially close, I don't ever recall him shunning me or clowning on me, not even when I rudely and briefly stopped over at his house during a cool kids get-together to which I was most certainly not invited. All I had on Brent was height, which is probably why I wore the vertical stripes in the photo to accentuate that difference.

Even when things seemed to unravel for him during our Senior year -- he beat some kid's ass pretty soundly, and I believe a water fountain was involved in some fashion -- it seemed in my adolescent mind to be a blip, a footnote to his story of success after success. In those days before social media, I didn't see him again for years after we graduated, and of the many people I sprinted away from after my time at RHS was finished, Brent was one of those guys that I always wondered about. What product did he invent? What policy did he create? How hot was the model that he ended up marrying?

While my memory gets more hazy with each passing year, I'm pretty certain of the last time I saw Brent, and it caused me to throw those questions right into the dust bin. It was just over a decade after we graduated, and I had just finished my second full year as an adjunct professor at Kirtland Community College. I ran into Brent at KCC after one of my classes -- he as a student, me as the "professor" -- and we did the slightly awkward 30-second life summation shuffle that people in our circumstances did and do. Once he found out what I was doing there, his eyes got wide, he smiled even wider, and he told me that he'd like to sign up for one of my Intro Psych sections. We both laughed at that thought, and went our separate ways. I never saw him alive again.

I can say with all honesty that the thought of Brent Koschtial in my class as a student frightened me to no end. Given my life-long embrace of negative self-talk, I believed that he would be the one to find out I was a charlatan and a fraud, getting by on callow entertainment and minimal effort instead of instructional skill and pedagogic mastery. (Closing in on twenty years of teaching, of course, and the jury's still out as to where I fit along that range.) Because at that moment in the KCC hallway, I saw Brent as who he was then, rather than who he was at that moment. I have little to no evidence that would allow me to interpret the twists and turns of Brent's life in a meaningful and valid fashion, with all the glib and superficial chatter of "potential" and "destiny" and such. Instead, I have only questions with no answers, lines of inquiry that will never be addressed to anyone's satisfaction. All I know for certain is that Brent is gone, and I'm sorry for his loss.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

NBC -- Never Believe Contracts

Whatever side you're falling on in the recent NBC late-night "deck chairs on the Titanic " shuffle, you have to admit it's been good comedy for all parties involved. While Letterman and Craig Ferguson have been sharp (especially Letterman, who has been gleeful in his "I told you so" vitriol), the best bits have come from Leno and O'Brien. Evidence: It's hard to follow all the angles here, but two things are clear: NBC violated Leno's contract (guaranteeing the 10pm slot), and NBC didn't violate O'Brien's contract (which made no time slot guarantees). So it's not hard to see who the loser here will be. O'Brien won't get the show he wants, Leno will step into a hollow echo of his past success, and tens of millions of dollars will be up in the air. Only Jimmy Fallon will continue to gestate his talent relatively unmolested, and his security is merely a function of the low expectations of his time slot. Meanwhile, CBS (a

"The Silver Gun" by Robert Palmer (1983)

I mean...Urdu? Seriously, Urdu . On an already eclectic and worldly album -- Pride , from 1983 -- "The Silver Gun" closes a chapter in Robert Palmer's career by singing a song about a horse in a language spoken daily by over 100 million people. The liquid bass line and propulsive electronics set out a bedrock for Palmer to ping phrasings rather out of place in Western music, askew astride even the peripatetic minimalism of the rest of the record. Somehow, in the middle of Michigan's Appalachia, I had this on vinyl a few years before the CD era officially commenced. It was an album of effort -- even the cover, a pointillism-and-bronze work, had Palmer's head barely above the water -- but the stitches didn't show to my pre-adolescent eyes and ears. In a career marked by zigs and zags, Pride and "The Silver Gun" were most certainly Other, and for a kid that felt like he didn't belong much of anywhere, it was nice to have those discrete feeling

"I'll Drive You Home"

Upon reflection, I’ve had a fortunate life in the area of work. As a freshly minted teenager, I would visit Evergreen Park Grocery and dream of someday working there like my father did, and at the age of 14, I got $2/hour to live out that dream, such as it was. From there, I yearned to try other occupations, from record stores to teaching, and I’d be chuffed to tell Young Erick that both of those things happened in due course. ( Oh, and Young Erick, one of them got you to meet David Bowie, and one of them got you to own houses and cars, so I’ll let you ponder on which one was better. ) I even got to DJ a bit here and there, and while it never hit the heights of a professional radio gig, it was certainly better than the summer I played preset cassettes on my boom box for a nerd camp dance while my unrequited crush stayed in her room. What I never crossed off my professional life list was acting, either regular or voice, but while I still yearn for that big breakthrough -- seriously, ask