Skip to main content

Some Stuff Wot I Done Listened To, 2015 Albums Version

Everyone loves year-end lists. Piecemeal and subjective as they may be, it's always a quick and easy route to jog the memory for moments of pleasure and empathy. Back in the record store days, it was a time that I looked forward to most of all, so let's continue with the tradition here in my little corner of the blogosphere, such as it is.

Father John MistyI Love You, Honeybear

From the hairiest ersatz lothario this side of 1975, Josh Tillman's delightful creation lists between cynical takes and hopeful stabs with verve and swagger and just a slice of I-can't-even exasperation. One of the best adult love albums of this or any year.

FFS FFS

It’s always nice when expectations are exceeded, and this amalgam of Franz Ferdinand and Sparks was greater than the simple sum of parts at almost every turn. In fact, there are times when the hybrid vigor is such that the songs take flight to a new and uncharted land that is FFS alone. Artful hooks, witty turns of phrase, and a sense of play make for unfettered joy and lightness.

Ghost Meliora

Production-wise, this is certainly the best-sounding hard rock record in a decade, and while one can quibble as to whether this is metal or rock or whatevs, it's their most melodic and forceful album yet, broadening and toughening up their signature sound while keeping their winking devilish themes intact. And with sweet vocal harmonies and chugging riffs, it almost makes you want to look into this Satan thing in more detail.

Shamir Ratchet

Armed with the compelling and emotionally engaging backstory of a gay black male who takes a swing at country and fails before finding his electropop niche, Shamir is a 21st Century success story right down to the album title. And with that story backed up by effervescent songs blending house and techno and identity and love, it’s both idiosyncratic and universal. And isn’t that what the best art should be?

Muse Drones

Not the most fashionable choice to rep for Muse at this point in their career, but fully-formed stadium rock bands cut from Queen cloth are a dying breed these days, and sometimes you want to hear something that would cause a soccer stadium to stand up, pay attention, and get into it post-haste. The guitars are a bit more up-front to complement the relatively coherent if simple theme connecting love and relationships to technology and dehumanization, and the maximalist swell of melody and bombast fits like a bespoke suit. It may not be their best album, but it’s their best record.

Honorable mentions go to the following, although I'm sure I'm forgetting some gems:

Courtney Barnett - Sometimes, I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit
Carly Rae Jepsen - E-MO-TION
Jamie xx - In Colour
Empress Of - Me
Grimes - Art Angels
Blur - The Magic Whip
CHVRCHES - Every Open Eye
Deafheaven - New Bermuda

Finally, the best new/old listening experience I had this year was Goodbye Yellow Brick Road by Elton John on Blu-Ray Audio (DTS 5.1 24bit/96khz). I splurged a few months back and bought a sorta-high-end player in the OPPO BDP103 Universal Disc Player, which has allowed me to play all the DVD-Audio discs I have in my collection as they were meant to be played, as well as Blu-ray discs and good ol' fashioned CD's. And while albums on DVD-Audio like Red by King Crimson and Rumours by Fleetwood Mac just jump out of the speakers in ways I've never heard, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road on Blu-ray beat all comers in richness and clarity and power and nuance, taking a great album and making it exemplary. It made me feel like a kid again, albeit a kid with a $500 audio component, and that's all I ask of my experiences with music -- to transport me to another time while keeping me anchored in the here and now. Thanks, Elton. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NBC -- Never Believe Contracts

Whatever side you're falling on in the recent NBC late-night "deck chairs on the Titanic " shuffle, you have to admit it's been good comedy for all parties involved. While Letterman and Craig Ferguson have been sharp (especially Letterman, who has been gleeful in his "I told you so" vitriol), the best bits have come from Leno and O'Brien. Evidence: It's hard to follow all the angles here, but two things are clear: NBC violated Leno's contract (guaranteeing the 10pm slot), and NBC didn't violate O'Brien's contract (which made no time slot guarantees). So it's not hard to see who the loser here will be. O'Brien won't get the show he wants, Leno will step into a hollow echo of his past success, and tens of millions of dollars will be up in the air. Only Jimmy Fallon will continue to gestate his talent relatively unmolested, and his security is merely a function of the low expectations of his time slot. Meanwhile, CBS (a

"The Silver Gun" by Robert Palmer (1983)

I mean...Urdu? Seriously, Urdu . On an already eclectic and worldly album -- Pride , from 1983 -- "The Silver Gun" closes a chapter in Robert Palmer's career by singing a song about a horse in a language spoken daily by over 100 million people. The liquid bass line and propulsive electronics set out a bedrock for Palmer to ping phrasings rather out of place in Western music, askew astride even the peripatetic minimalism of the rest of the record. Somehow, in the middle of Michigan's Appalachia, I had this on vinyl a few years before the CD era officially commenced. It was an album of effort -- even the cover, a pointillism-and-bronze work, had Palmer's head barely above the water -- but the stitches didn't show to my pre-adolescent eyes and ears. In a career marked by zigs and zags, Pride and "The Silver Gun" were most certainly Other, and for a kid that felt like he didn't belong much of anywhere, it was nice to have those discrete feeling

"I'll Drive You Home"

Upon reflection, I’ve had a fortunate life in the area of work. As a freshly minted teenager, I would visit Evergreen Park Grocery and dream of someday working there like my father did, and at the age of 14, I got $2/hour to live out that dream, such as it was. From there, I yearned to try other occupations, from record stores to teaching, and I’d be chuffed to tell Young Erick that both of those things happened in due course. ( Oh, and Young Erick, one of them got you to meet David Bowie, and one of them got you to own houses and cars, so I’ll let you ponder on which one was better. ) I even got to DJ a bit here and there, and while it never hit the heights of a professional radio gig, it was certainly better than the summer I played preset cassettes on my boom box for a nerd camp dance while my unrequited crush stayed in her room. What I never crossed off my professional life list was acting, either regular or voice, but while I still yearn for that big breakthrough -- seriously, ask