Skip to main content

7 Jobs, Part Six -- Record World (2002-2005)

My first impression of the last record store at which I will ever work was, shall we say, not the best. When I moved to Petoskey in August '98 for my NCMC job, I looked around the town and found an actual record store downtown called Record World, which was pretty exciting for a music fan like me. However, while they had a decent stock and what appeared to be a solid staff, the prices were a bit on the higher side, so I ignored RW as a shopping destination and instead made periodic trips down to WHR #9 to work and buy stuff. (I also got the run-around from the RW folks when I tried to put up some point-of-purchase material for a Love And Rockets street team of which I was a part, so that didn't engender warm feelings and good cheer, either.) But when WHR closed their doors in '01, I bit the bullet and offered my services to Record World as a part-timer soon after.

Record World was an outlier in my record store experiences, as it was just one store where the owner was the manager rather than part of a chain, which gave it more of a mom-and-pop vibe. The "pop" was owner Larry Rochon -- a.k.a. "The Silver Fox" -- a former employee of Motown in the the '70s (who supposedly was issued a Cadillac and a pistol for his Detroit territory, which was 8 Mile and below), and Larry was delightful as a person, which made the job a joy. He had a free-wheeling sense of humor as well; once I found out he was a huge fan of the Rolling Stones, I took every opportunity to faux-shit on that band of "old has-beens and never-weres," which became a running joke between us. He had two types of laughs, both of which were bellowing and infectious, but only one of which was genuine, an affectation that I both understood well and appreciated greatly.

I can't remember when I first started there -- early 2002, perhaps a bit earlier? -- but I can certainly remember when I finished there: mid-February 2005, when Larry closed the store that had been his baby for over two and a half decades. I'd never been a direct part of a record store closing before, as I was no longer part of the day-to-day in WHR when they suddenly shuttered their doors, so it was painful to watch the slow erosion of Record World over a period of about eighteen months, and I was amazed that Larry let it continue as long as he did. Well, not so amazed when one considers his investment in the people and the community.

I was invested in that place as well; I started off getting a small hourly wage for my part-time work, then I pulled back to $20 a week, and then I believe I didn't get paid at all towards the end. (Shit, I'd still be working there for free were it still open.) When Larry announced the closing, we had the predictable wave of vultures looking for deals and well-wishers who hadn't been in the store on the regular for quite some time. I couldn't blame them, however, as even Larry had largely pulled back from the store operations, leaving the buying to me and the banking to the one lone full-time employee left. With Amazon and downloading, legal or otherwise, the role that Record World had filled just didn't exist anymore.

It's been over a decade since I worked at any kind of record store, but I wish I could say that I don't miss it to this day, that I have moved on from that desire and wish. There's a small part of me that thinks a small record store could work in Petoskey today, with records and used and new CD's and books and posters and so on, especially given the relative resurgence in vinyl sales over the past few years. But I know that it won't be me to have anything to do with such a store, and while it's always a bummer to have one of your childhood dreams lay firmly in the ground, I accept the fact that the global experience of music -- and the culture of buying music and shooting the shit about music in a physical space -- has forever changed in the 21st Century. And just like a full head of hair, those old ways are never coming back for me.

But just like I remember the hair on my head, I'm glad to have had the experience of working at a record store one last time. I'm just sad that it ended with a whimper, with half-empty bins like a yellowed smile missing some teeth, petering out like the last swig of a warm Coke with the end of summer closing in. Larry deserved better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NBC -- Never Believe Contracts

Whatever side you're falling on in the recent NBC late-night "deck chairs on the Titanic " shuffle, you have to admit it's been good comedy for all parties involved. While Letterman and Craig Ferguson have been sharp (especially Letterman, who has been gleeful in his "I told you so" vitriol), the best bits have come from Leno and O'Brien. Evidence: It's hard to follow all the angles here, but two things are clear: NBC violated Leno's contract (guaranteeing the 10pm slot), and NBC didn't violate O'Brien's contract (which made no time slot guarantees). So it's not hard to see who the loser here will be. O'Brien won't get the show he wants, Leno will step into a hollow echo of his past success, and tens of millions of dollars will be up in the air. Only Jimmy Fallon will continue to gestate his talent relatively unmolested, and his security is merely a function of the low expectations of his time slot. Meanwhile, CBS (a

"The Silver Gun" by Robert Palmer (1983)

I mean...Urdu? Seriously, Urdu . On an already eclectic and worldly album -- Pride , from 1983 -- "The Silver Gun" closes a chapter in Robert Palmer's career by singing a song about a horse in a language spoken daily by over 100 million people. The liquid bass line and propulsive electronics set out a bedrock for Palmer to ping phrasings rather out of place in Western music, askew astride even the peripatetic minimalism of the rest of the record. Somehow, in the middle of Michigan's Appalachia, I had this on vinyl a few years before the CD era officially commenced. It was an album of effort -- even the cover, a pointillism-and-bronze work, had Palmer's head barely above the water -- but the stitches didn't show to my pre-adolescent eyes and ears. In a career marked by zigs and zags, Pride and "The Silver Gun" were most certainly Other, and for a kid that felt like he didn't belong much of anywhere, it was nice to have those discrete feeling

"I'll Drive You Home"

Upon reflection, I’ve had a fortunate life in the area of work. As a freshly minted teenager, I would visit Evergreen Park Grocery and dream of someday working there like my father did, and at the age of 14, I got $2/hour to live out that dream, such as it was. From there, I yearned to try other occupations, from record stores to teaching, and I’d be chuffed to tell Young Erick that both of those things happened in due course. ( Oh, and Young Erick, one of them got you to meet David Bowie, and one of them got you to own houses and cars, so I’ll let you ponder on which one was better. ) I even got to DJ a bit here and there, and while it never hit the heights of a professional radio gig, it was certainly better than the summer I played preset cassettes on my boom box for a nerd camp dance while my unrequited crush stayed in her room. What I never crossed off my professional life list was acting, either regular or voice, but while I still yearn for that big breakthrough -- seriously, ask