Skip to main content

7 Jobs, Part Seven -- Alternative Press (2006-2010)

During the '70s and '80s, if you lived in the middle of nowhere and you wanted to know about the popular culture of the nation at large, you watched movies and television (the big three -- ABC, NBC, CBS -- as well as PBS) and you read magazines, especially the reviews sections. The monoculture loomed large back then, with no clear avenues into nearly anything counterculture, so I happily lapped up mainstream films, shows, and music recommended by middle-aged white men of the establishment, hoping to one day do what they did.

The first time I was paid for reviewing anything was as a grad student at Central Michigan University, working for the college newspaper CM Life in the early '90s under a variety of editors. (And there was talent in that editorial pool, too; one editor later worked for the Wall Street Journal and a D.C. insider enclave, while another editor co-created Robot Chicken for Adult Swim. I even dated one of the other editors, but that's another post.) I reviewed movies from time to time, but I was mostly on the music beat; at my peak, I was reviewing four CD's a week, with the odd concert here and there. (In the fall of '94, I saw Tori Amos two nights in a row at East Lansing and Ann Arbor, and wrote a combo review of both nights, as Tori was fond of shaking up the set list from gig to gig back then.) But I never thought it would turn into a career, so as I focused on my thesis and teaching, my work at CM Life eventually turned into a trickle, then stopped altogether.

When I first started diving into the internet in the mid '90s, I contributed reviews for two different David Bowie new releases to a now-defunct (and missed) Bowie fan site, but I was otherwise silent on the review front. It wasn't until a chance meeting in Record World with the editor-in-chief of Alternative Press that I had an actual connection into print media, a connection that reached fruition in early '06. From that point, I wrote monthly album reviews for Alternative Press -- and later, the NY-based feminist-leaning Bust -- until early '10, and I can remember that burst of pride when I walked into Barnes & Noble and pulled up two different magazines that had my work therein. It made me a Published Author, of a sort, and who wouldn't want that?

The biggest problems with my brief writing career was simple:

(1) I wasn't very good, and I was only getting marginally better over the years

(2) what I did as a writer had little to no impact anywhere on anyone

As to the latter, I wanted the influence on the buying habits of young kids that the reviewers I read had on me. Rob Sheffield, the writer who worked for Rolling Stone and elsewhere, is the direct reason why I fell in love with an '80s UK band called The Comsat Angels; Sheffield name-dropped the band in a review for another artist, so I tracked down their first three albums from England as quickly as I could. I can't remember the Rolling Stone writer who reviewed the debut from Nine Inch Nails, but that review made me buy the album before any of my friends knew who that band was.

Sadly, I never had that power, as half of my reviews were of bands I didn't care about, and nearly all of my reviews were forgotten as soon as they were published. I didn't pursue my Doctorate in Social Psychology because I didn't want to contribute to minutia -- among other things -- so why should I do that with my reviews? Thankfully, based on the former, the decision to stop writing for both magazines was largely made for me, as my assignments got fewer and more esoteric.

However, my brief time as a freelancer made me respect their efforts, as well as bemoan their nearly nonexistent pay. I still have some of the press clippings, and while it's almost all cringe-worthy work, I'm at least glad I had the chance to give it a try. As much as it's a cliche, I've learned more from my failures over the years, and each of these seven jobs have given me much to learn from. But what will the next job be? Stay tuned...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NBC -- Never Believe Contracts

Whatever side you're falling on in the recent NBC late-night "deck chairs on the Titanic " shuffle, you have to admit it's been good comedy for all parties involved. While Letterman and Craig Ferguson have been sharp (especially Letterman, who has been gleeful in his "I told you so" vitriol), the best bits have come from Leno and O'Brien. Evidence: It's hard to follow all the angles here, but two things are clear: NBC violated Leno's contract (guaranteeing the 10pm slot), and NBC didn't violate O'Brien's contract (which made no time slot guarantees). So it's not hard to see who the loser here will be. O'Brien won't get the show he wants, Leno will step into a hollow echo of his past success, and tens of millions of dollars will be up in the air. Only Jimmy Fallon will continue to gestate his talent relatively unmolested, and his security is merely a function of the low expectations of his time slot. Meanwhile, CBS (a

"The Silver Gun" by Robert Palmer (1983)

I mean...Urdu? Seriously, Urdu . On an already eclectic and worldly album -- Pride , from 1983 -- "The Silver Gun" closes a chapter in Robert Palmer's career by singing a song about a horse in a language spoken daily by over 100 million people. The liquid bass line and propulsive electronics set out a bedrock for Palmer to ping phrasings rather out of place in Western music, askew astride even the peripatetic minimalism of the rest of the record. Somehow, in the middle of Michigan's Appalachia, I had this on vinyl a few years before the CD era officially commenced. It was an album of effort -- even the cover, a pointillism-and-bronze work, had Palmer's head barely above the water -- but the stitches didn't show to my pre-adolescent eyes and ears. In a career marked by zigs and zags, Pride and "The Silver Gun" were most certainly Other, and for a kid that felt like he didn't belong much of anywhere, it was nice to have those discrete feeling

"I'll Drive You Home"

Upon reflection, I’ve had a fortunate life in the area of work. As a freshly minted teenager, I would visit Evergreen Park Grocery and dream of someday working there like my father did, and at the age of 14, I got $2/hour to live out that dream, such as it was. From there, I yearned to try other occupations, from record stores to teaching, and I’d be chuffed to tell Young Erick that both of those things happened in due course. ( Oh, and Young Erick, one of them got you to meet David Bowie, and one of them got you to own houses and cars, so I’ll let you ponder on which one was better. ) I even got to DJ a bit here and there, and while it never hit the heights of a professional radio gig, it was certainly better than the summer I played preset cassettes on my boom box for a nerd camp dance while my unrequited crush stayed in her room. What I never crossed off my professional life list was acting, either regular or voice, but while I still yearn for that big breakthrough -- seriously, ask