Skip to main content

NCMC Course Evaluation Greatest Hits

One of the open secrets in public education is that it's quite a chore to assess professors in a valid and reliable fashion to assist professional and personal growth. Those outside the field -- that is, usually those with no experience in the class room whatsoever -- have no problem imposing top-down assessments such as pass rate examination and post-course satisfaction surveys, but those usually aren't that helpful in "closing the loop" to elicit meaningful short-term or long-term change.

And to be honest, I'm not sure what could be helpful for me as a professor at this point in my nearly-two-decade-long career; for example, peer evaluation is a nice idea, but I'm a full-time department of one, so I don't exactly have peers that do what I do in quality and quantity inside my institution. This means that we're left with things like the course evaluation rankings and comments as the most visible assessments available, and every professor knows that student comments tend to correlate with student grades. At least there's some entertainment value now and again. What follows is a sample of NCMC comments from the Fall 2010 semester to the Winter 2014 semester, a five year period. It's no Rate My Professors, but it's still something, right? (All grammar adventures left intact, of course.)

Mr Height constantly cracked jokes which kept the attention of the class.

bring snacks

make it more of a two way class, not just the teacher talking and talking

The instructor was very illustrated and informed. He made sure you understood what he was talking about.

I beleive that the constant R-rated languege heard in this class could be done without. It was a big distraction. Another distraction is that of the constant joking. There was too much of it and it took away from the lesson rather than add to it. One of the extra credit opportunities was made available only for students who worked thirty hours a week which was unfare to other students since they were not eligable. Overall I found the professor to be difficult, childish, and offensive.

turn on the lights, nobody can see anybody

This class was a TOTAL waste of my time. It took time away from my kids and husband, my children's sporting and music events and the stress was unbearable. I was unbearable! I had heard that this instructor had issues with priding himself on never giving A's. Why would this institution allow for such instructing when getting an education is supposed to be beneficial for success? An education, by the way, WE are paying for? It's absolute nonsense!

Kathy Colby is a great professor, she cares if her students are learning and it shows. Makes me want to come to class and learn.

bring bacon

cut the vulgar talk and be professional.

I have no time to fill this out seriously, sorry.

I have many friends taking this class with other Pro. and they love it.. I hated every minute of this class. Sorry!

Make Mr. Haight immortal so he can teach this class forever.

Professor Haight is the worst teacher I have EVER had and I will be telling everyone that wants to take a class from him to avoid it at all costs. He was not fair in his grading and did not seem to care about my personal success. I am a full-time student at a private 4-year college and I have never felt so disrespected by a teacher. I will be taking further action with the way he disrespected me as a student. 

fire! hire new teacher

Really good teacher, has the amount of wisdom and sarcasm to keep people alive and motivated during the class, just hard to talk to one on one sometimes

#yolo

Great class. I was told that this class was very hard but found that it was not hard but required out of class time to study.

I, found Eric extremely impossible to work with.

Love this class, change nothing

The most effective aspect of this course is that you do have to try to get a good grade.

Just let the man do his thing...

#mrhaight4prez2k16

Obviously, I didn't include every response, but these are good examples of what pops up on these end-of-semester surveys, and as you can see, the content is more affective -- that is, emotional -- rather than evaluative. However, that's not to say that every response was useless; for example, I had a detailed negative analysis of an online History of Music course that I taught rather poorly, and I used that content to make the class better (and, come this fall, hopefully better still). Nevertheless, most of the survey information just isn't effective as an assessment. Instead, it's simple fodder for dumb blog posts like this one, which does both the student and the professor a disservice, an opportunity lost for any substantive change on all sides. On to the next semester, I suppose.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NBC -- Never Believe Contracts

Whatever side you're falling on in the recent NBC late-night "deck chairs on the Titanic " shuffle, you have to admit it's been good comedy for all parties involved. While Letterman and Craig Ferguson have been sharp (especially Letterman, who has been gleeful in his "I told you so" vitriol), the best bits have come from Leno and O'Brien. Evidence: It's hard to follow all the angles here, but two things are clear: NBC violated Leno's contract (guaranteeing the 10pm slot), and NBC didn't violate O'Brien's contract (which made no time slot guarantees). So it's not hard to see who the loser here will be. O'Brien won't get the show he wants, Leno will step into a hollow echo of his past success, and tens of millions of dollars will be up in the air. Only Jimmy Fallon will continue to gestate his talent relatively unmolested, and his security is merely a function of the low expectations of his time slot. Meanwhile, CBS (a

"The Silver Gun" by Robert Palmer (1983)

I mean...Urdu? Seriously, Urdu . On an already eclectic and worldly album -- Pride , from 1983 -- "The Silver Gun" closes a chapter in Robert Palmer's career by singing a song about a horse in a language spoken daily by over 100 million people. The liquid bass line and propulsive electronics set out a bedrock for Palmer to ping phrasings rather out of place in Western music, askew astride even the peripatetic minimalism of the rest of the record. Somehow, in the middle of Michigan's Appalachia, I had this on vinyl a few years before the CD era officially commenced. It was an album of effort -- even the cover, a pointillism-and-bronze work, had Palmer's head barely above the water -- but the stitches didn't show to my pre-adolescent eyes and ears. In a career marked by zigs and zags, Pride and "The Silver Gun" were most certainly Other, and for a kid that felt like he didn't belong much of anywhere, it was nice to have those discrete feeling

"I'll Drive You Home"

Upon reflection, I’ve had a fortunate life in the area of work. As a freshly minted teenager, I would visit Evergreen Park Grocery and dream of someday working there like my father did, and at the age of 14, I got $2/hour to live out that dream, such as it was. From there, I yearned to try other occupations, from record stores to teaching, and I’d be chuffed to tell Young Erick that both of those things happened in due course. ( Oh, and Young Erick, one of them got you to meet David Bowie, and one of them got you to own houses and cars, so I’ll let you ponder on which one was better. ) I even got to DJ a bit here and there, and while it never hit the heights of a professional radio gig, it was certainly better than the summer I played preset cassettes on my boom box for a nerd camp dance while my unrequited crush stayed in her room. What I never crossed off my professional life list was acting, either regular or voice, but while I still yearn for that big breakthrough -- seriously, ask