Skip to main content

"Still In Your Heart" by The Power Station (1985)



People who fondly remember The Eighties most likely didn't have to live through The Eighties, a time largely marked in my nape of the way by Rust Belt social and economic desiccation and devolution. With the cruel packaging of Reaganomics and deregulation and institutional racism and prosperity gospels grafted together like some horrible Marvel Team-Up designed to spark a 1% for the 1%, the crisp harshness on the wind was mirrored in the new digital audio/visual technology, designed to drag queer and shambolic rock and roll fantasies into the ordered realm of ones and zeroes, forever in the air tonight with no jacket required.

So (un)naturally, when the most cocaine-y chopped-up drums ever to be recorded exploded out of the boom boxes courtesy of "Some Like It Hot" during that sun-drenched summer of 1985, it was less an invitation to listen than a directive, an imperative to soak in all that The Power Station -- not so much a band as a corporate merger, and how Eighties was that? -- had to offer. Two parts Duran Duran, two parts Chic, with Robert Palmer handling the vocals, The Power Station was largely pieced together in the studio from which the band took their name with the deft touch of a film editor. If you squint your ears during any generic '80s action film, you could easily hear The Power Station playing over the rapid and spastic cuts of blood and guts.

Palmer took the buzz generated by the two global smash singles on The Power Station to take his solo career into a more commercial direction the following year with Riptide, but there's a peculiar joy in hearing the incipient thrust of what later became a bit formulaic and wan, which is why I keep returning to the album as a whole. However, aside from the singles -- one of which, a leaden and jaw-clenched cover of "Bang A Gong (Get It On)" by T. Rex, I sang at a summer nerd camp "talent" show in full Robert Palmer suit and slicked-back hair -- one specific track immediately grabbed my teenage heart, never to relinquish that grip to this very day.

"Still In Your Heart" is a straightforward ballad -- on a record by The Power Station, I suppose it's a Power ballad -- that has the most clearly cohesive sound of any of the songs on the album, as if the entire band got together in one smoky room at 3am, cutting the track in one go. It's as perfect a three-minute manifesto of longing and regret as you could hope for, with Tony Thompson's muscular drumming and Lenny Pickett's outro saxophone solo as clear highlights. But it's the vocal that propels the lyric away from the gutters of maudlin and pedestrian sentiment into something approaching sharp and sublime. Palmer wrings the right amount of pathos from each note without overemoting, and his harmony vocal counters his melody with simple yet knotty twists. Plus, in the days of Auto-Reverse cassettes, any temporary blues could be shaken away by the monolithic glee of "Some Like It Hot," which is as fucking unimpeachable as ever.

Postscript: At the aforementioned nerd camp -- three weeks in July at Alma College in 1985 -- there was a classic early teenage quadrangle of longing, of which I was a part. Between two boys and two girls, I liked the girl who liked the other boy instead of the girl who liked me, who ended up with the other boy, leaving me and the girl I liked out in the cold, as the girl I liked didn't like me back. Like, at all. (She was nice-ish about it, but still.) I was the DJ of our little camp-closing dance, and so, armed with all my cassette tapes cued to our favorite songs, I thought that "Still In Your Heart" might give me one last shot with the girl I liked. Not only did it most certainly not, but as it was a bit of a deep cut, nobody at the dance recognized the song, which meant that nobody danced to it. For almost three minutes, the nerd camp dance floor was empty, while I watched my dreams of a first real kiss (or a first real slow dance with a girl, for that matter) decay like the last notes of a saxophone solo, brassy and cold. But at least I still have the tape.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NBC -- Never Believe Contracts

Whatever side you're falling on in the recent NBC late-night "deck chairs on the Titanic " shuffle, you have to admit it's been good comedy for all parties involved. While Letterman and Craig Ferguson have been sharp (especially Letterman, who has been gleeful in his "I told you so" vitriol), the best bits have come from Leno and O'Brien. Evidence: It's hard to follow all the angles here, but two things are clear: NBC violated Leno's contract (guaranteeing the 10pm slot), and NBC didn't violate O'Brien's contract (which made no time slot guarantees). So it's not hard to see who the loser here will be. O'Brien won't get the show he wants, Leno will step into a hollow echo of his past success, and tens of millions of dollars will be up in the air. Only Jimmy Fallon will continue to gestate his talent relatively unmolested, and his security is merely a function of the low expectations of his time slot. Meanwhile, CBS (a

"The Silver Gun" by Robert Palmer (1983)

I mean...Urdu? Seriously, Urdu . On an already eclectic and worldly album -- Pride , from 1983 -- "The Silver Gun" closes a chapter in Robert Palmer's career by singing a song about a horse in a language spoken daily by over 100 million people. The liquid bass line and propulsive electronics set out a bedrock for Palmer to ping phrasings rather out of place in Western music, askew astride even the peripatetic minimalism of the rest of the record. Somehow, in the middle of Michigan's Appalachia, I had this on vinyl a few years before the CD era officially commenced. It was an album of effort -- even the cover, a pointillism-and-bronze work, had Palmer's head barely above the water -- but the stitches didn't show to my pre-adolescent eyes and ears. In a career marked by zigs and zags, Pride and "The Silver Gun" were most certainly Other, and for a kid that felt like he didn't belong much of anywhere, it was nice to have those discrete feeling

"I'll Drive You Home"

Upon reflection, I’ve had a fortunate life in the area of work. As a freshly minted teenager, I would visit Evergreen Park Grocery and dream of someday working there like my father did, and at the age of 14, I got $2/hour to live out that dream, such as it was. From there, I yearned to try other occupations, from record stores to teaching, and I’d be chuffed to tell Young Erick that both of those things happened in due course. ( Oh, and Young Erick, one of them got you to meet David Bowie, and one of them got you to own houses and cars, so I’ll let you ponder on which one was better. ) I even got to DJ a bit here and there, and while it never hit the heights of a professional radio gig, it was certainly better than the summer I played preset cassettes on my boom box for a nerd camp dance while my unrequited crush stayed in her room. What I never crossed off my professional life list was acting, either regular or voice, but while I still yearn for that big breakthrough -- seriously, ask