Skip to main content

Come Inside My Mind

It was a warm August afternoon, and my wife Courtney and I had been in our house -- our first house as a married couple -- for just over a year. I was sitting on the couch, awash in summer dog farts swirled around by the ceiling fan, when Courtney came to the top of the stairs to tell me that Robin Williams had died. After a few seconds, a wash of numbness came over me, followed by the fits and starts of understanding the new reality. Disorganization, then reorganization.

One might wonder why I would feel this way about someone I had never met, feeling the earth shifting over an actor who once set his fake tits on fire for a laugh. But like many people my age and background, there was a period of time when I wanted to be Robin Williams, before I properly understood what an impossible wish that was. If you have ever made strangers laugh, if you have ever felt your mind ricochet from one comedic concept to the next with rapidity and import -- especially as a kid -- there's really only one modern comedian's career (and that term "comedian" is diminishing his talents, but that aside) to whom you aspire, knowing full well that such a singular talent and path could never be replicated.

I was in second grade in Aurora, CO when Mork & Mindy first hit the ABC airwaves. The show was set in nearby Denver, and I finally saw someone on television who had such an anarchic sense of play, with more than a dash of poorly understood adult tension, that I felt like he was speaking just to me, even if I didn't get all the jokes and references. Fast-forward a decade, and Robin was in his breakout film role of a Vietnam DJ, just about the time I was starting to DJ around the sweaty gyms and hyper-hormoned teen rooms of northern lower Michigan, a jungle of a different sort. I'd check him out on talk shows, I'd see him do great work in solid movies -- and not-so-solid movies -- and I would watch his stand-up specials with regularity. Whatever he was selling, in whatever form, I was buying.

And just like that, it seemed, I was older and he was gone.

I was semi-dreading the release of the new HBO documentary Robin Williams: Come Into My Mind, afraid that it would dredge up that vein of deep sorrow I felt after his passing, and while I was correct to an extent, the doc was a nice summation of his depth as a performer. Like all good docs, it left a lot on the table artistically that could have been explored, such as his Juiliard years with Christopher Reeve or his experience with the Academy Awards, but it hit all the marks that needed to be hit. If you're a fan, it's an essential watch.

For me, when I'm lost in a documentary, there's always an illogical moment where I fleetingly think that if I keep watching, recorded history might become fluid and change from tragedy to something else. I felt that again today, with a brief spark of hope that the left turn of almost four years ago was somehow going to be smoothed out. But, of course, it wasn't. As with so many people before him, we have a body of work, an artistic output, that allows the person to live on in our collective imagination. Young kids will hear him as the voice of a blue Disney genie, while others might explore his underrated 21st Century filmography, especially gems like World's Greatest Dad and One Hour Photo, not to mention Insomnia. My life was richer from the artistic gifts of Robin Williams, and I hope yours was, or will be, the same.

Comments

  1. Haven’t seen it yet, but will be on the list. A tortured soul for sure, but a brilliant mind..and a friend of Johnny Winters...er, Jonathan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

NBC -- Never Believe Contracts

Whatever side you're falling on in the recent NBC late-night "deck chairs on the Titanic " shuffle, you have to admit it's been good comedy for all parties involved. While Letterman and Craig Ferguson have been sharp (especially Letterman, who has been gleeful in his "I told you so" vitriol), the best bits have come from Leno and O'Brien. Evidence: It's hard to follow all the angles here, but two things are clear: NBC violated Leno's contract (guaranteeing the 10pm slot), and NBC didn't violate O'Brien's contract (which made no time slot guarantees). So it's not hard to see who the loser here will be. O'Brien won't get the show he wants, Leno will step into a hollow echo of his past success, and tens of millions of dollars will be up in the air. Only Jimmy Fallon will continue to gestate his talent relatively unmolested, and his security is merely a function of the low expectations of his time slot. Meanwhile, CBS (a

"The Silver Gun" by Robert Palmer (1983)

I mean...Urdu? Seriously, Urdu . On an already eclectic and worldly album -- Pride , from 1983 -- "The Silver Gun" closes a chapter in Robert Palmer's career by singing a song about a horse in a language spoken daily by over 100 million people. The liquid bass line and propulsive electronics set out a bedrock for Palmer to ping phrasings rather out of place in Western music, askew astride even the peripatetic minimalism of the rest of the record. Somehow, in the middle of Michigan's Appalachia, I had this on vinyl a few years before the CD era officially commenced. It was an album of effort -- even the cover, a pointillism-and-bronze work, had Palmer's head barely above the water -- but the stitches didn't show to my pre-adolescent eyes and ears. In a career marked by zigs and zags, Pride and "The Silver Gun" were most certainly Other, and for a kid that felt like he didn't belong much of anywhere, it was nice to have those discrete feeling

"I'll Drive You Home"

Upon reflection, I’ve had a fortunate life in the area of work. As a freshly minted teenager, I would visit Evergreen Park Grocery and dream of someday working there like my father did, and at the age of 14, I got $2/hour to live out that dream, such as it was. From there, I yearned to try other occupations, from record stores to teaching, and I’d be chuffed to tell Young Erick that both of those things happened in due course. ( Oh, and Young Erick, one of them got you to meet David Bowie, and one of them got you to own houses and cars, so I’ll let you ponder on which one was better. ) I even got to DJ a bit here and there, and while it never hit the heights of a professional radio gig, it was certainly better than the summer I played preset cassettes on my boom box for a nerd camp dance while my unrequited crush stayed in her room. What I never crossed off my professional life list was acting, either regular or voice, but while I still yearn for that big breakthrough -- seriously, ask