Skip to main content

Top 11 Moments At Coachella 2010

So I was going through some old concert tickets and thinking back on some of the shows I've seen over the past decade or so (some of which I'll discuss in a future post). With my friend Brian Siers, I had a good run at the Coachella festivals, jaunting out to Indio and back every year from 2004 to 2014, with one last shot in 2016. Recently, I was thinking about 2010, and for me, the memory of those individual weekends can be a bit fuzzy. Thankfully, there's the internet to fill in the blanks of my brain. Here's what Billboard had to say about Coachella 2010.

If you clicked through the link, you saw Billboard's top ten moments. Then why, you ask, does the title of this post refer to 11 moments? Again, here's where my memory gets a bit foggy. But as much as I can remember, Brian and I were in a tent watching some act, and there was a small group of women in front of us who were being bro'd by some dudes or having their stuff stomped a bit or something or other, and I stepped in to help them. (No "m'lady" required.) That started some small talk between us, and when the act was finished, Brian and I went with the ladies to get some refreshments before the next wave started, and we chatted some more.

Now, it's important to know that Brian and I were not usually the Coachella chatterboxes. By no means were we isolates who ignored the whole of humanity, but we were there for the music and the hang, not to make friends or influence people, so any conversations with our fellow attendees were pretty limited in scope and duration. But these ladies were pretty easy to talk to, and one woman in particular seemed to really spark with Brian. Her name was, and is, Samantha.

As Brian and I live in separate cities, we went back to our respective homes after Coachella 2010 ended. But when I would periodically chat with Brian, he would talk about how he had just finished talking with Samantha (who, I discovered, was more of a Sam than a Samantha). Over time, this transcontinental flirtation between Brian and Sam blossomed into love, and Sam moved to Chicago to be with Brian and to twin their lives together, to celebrate successes and grieve losses as one. They weren't married, but they might as well have been.

Until, that is, they got married.

Brian and I usually are able to squeak in some sort of visit around Thanksgiving week. Last year, I was able to swing down and have lunch with Brian, Sam, and Brian's older brother and younger sister. This year, Brian and Sam said they'd make the drive north to grab dinner, and as my wife Coco and I waited for the appetizers to arrive, Brian and Sam sprung the surprise on us, showing off their rings (and telling a funny story of what led up to the buying of the rings, a story that I won't repeat here). We had a great dinner, and then they hit the road to head back downstate, to sleep and bake and celebrate their first Thanksgiving as a married couple.

I'm not one of those people who believe that one must get married. Like anyone, I know people who aren't married but who have enviable models of long-term commitment, and I know married people who lead separate lives. But I'm happy for both Brian and Sam, and I'm selfishly glad that I was there at what was the beginning of a story of laughter and love, set to the soundtrack of a California festival.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NBC -- Never Believe Contracts

Whatever side you're falling on in the recent NBC late-night "deck chairs on the Titanic " shuffle, you have to admit it's been good comedy for all parties involved. While Letterman and Craig Ferguson have been sharp (especially Letterman, who has been gleeful in his "I told you so" vitriol), the best bits have come from Leno and O'Brien. Evidence: It's hard to follow all the angles here, but two things are clear: NBC violated Leno's contract (guaranteeing the 10pm slot), and NBC didn't violate O'Brien's contract (which made no time slot guarantees). So it's not hard to see who the loser here will be. O'Brien won't get the show he wants, Leno will step into a hollow echo of his past success, and tens of millions of dollars will be up in the air. Only Jimmy Fallon will continue to gestate his talent relatively unmolested, and his security is merely a function of the low expectations of his time slot. Meanwhile, CBS (a

"The Silver Gun" by Robert Palmer (1983)

I mean...Urdu? Seriously, Urdu . On an already eclectic and worldly album -- Pride , from 1983 -- "The Silver Gun" closes a chapter in Robert Palmer's career by singing a song about a horse in a language spoken daily by over 100 million people. The liquid bass line and propulsive electronics set out a bedrock for Palmer to ping phrasings rather out of place in Western music, askew astride even the peripatetic minimalism of the rest of the record. Somehow, in the middle of Michigan's Appalachia, I had this on vinyl a few years before the CD era officially commenced. It was an album of effort -- even the cover, a pointillism-and-bronze work, had Palmer's head barely above the water -- but the stitches didn't show to my pre-adolescent eyes and ears. In a career marked by zigs and zags, Pride and "The Silver Gun" were most certainly Other, and for a kid that felt like he didn't belong much of anywhere, it was nice to have those discrete feeling

"I'll Drive You Home"

Upon reflection, I’ve had a fortunate life in the area of work. As a freshly minted teenager, I would visit Evergreen Park Grocery and dream of someday working there like my father did, and at the age of 14, I got $2/hour to live out that dream, such as it was. From there, I yearned to try other occupations, from record stores to teaching, and I’d be chuffed to tell Young Erick that both of those things happened in due course. ( Oh, and Young Erick, one of them got you to meet David Bowie, and one of them got you to own houses and cars, so I’ll let you ponder on which one was better. ) I even got to DJ a bit here and there, and while it never hit the heights of a professional radio gig, it was certainly better than the summer I played preset cassettes on my boom box for a nerd camp dance while my unrequited crush stayed in her room. What I never crossed off my professional life list was acting, either regular or voice, but while I still yearn for that big breakthrough -- seriously, ask