Skip to main content

The Concerts: 2011

The concerts of 2011 were fewer in number, but generally strong from start to finish. And the winners were:

The Decemberists [Royal Oak Music Theatre 2.2.11]

So here's where my ticket stub and memory diverge from the hive mind of the internet, which puts this show on 22 April. Hmm. What I do remember without a doubt is that this show was much better than the East Lansing show in '08, which nearly put me off live shows from The Decemberists. A band I've always loved, back when I first heard their debut CD at Record World in Petoskey (my last record store job, sadly).

Cinematic Titanic Double Feature [Royal Oak Music Theatre 2.26.11]

Speaking of the internet, Wikipedia has no record of this show happening, but my tickets prove otherwise. We did the double feature of early and late show from the MST3K alumni, and I recall laughing all fucking night. I believe "JACKPOT!" may have been the closer for one of the movies.

Scissor Sisters [Royal Oak Music Theatre 2.27.11]

A glittery delight of a show, from a band sadly "on hiatus" (a.k.a. "we're never recording a note again"). But at least lead singer Jake Shears is still out there trying, with a solo debut released in '18 that had some nice echoes of '70s Elton John and '10s Scissor Sisters.

Coachella Music & Arts Festival [Empire Polo Club, Indio 4.15/16/17.11]

A look back at the poster sparked one major impression: "Fuck, this was a good Coachella." Finally got to see Elbow and Suede -- SUEDE! SUEDE! -- as well as a Sunday noon set in the blazing sun from Gord Downie, the lead singer of The Tragically Hip (who tragically passed away last year). And I'm sure main stage sets by Kanye West and Arcade Fire were swell, too...but SUEDE.

Mogwai [St. Andrews Hall, Detroit 4.28.11]

A visceral sound assault -- in the best possible ways -- in one of my favorite legacy concert venues. They make the soundtrack for life's peak experiences.

Pitchfork Music Festival [Union Park, Chicago 7.15/16/17.11]

The bloom came off the P4K rose this year, for whatever reason. Don't remember that much positive about the whole weekend. For one thing, Suede wasn't there.

Interpol wsg The Soft Moon [The Fillmore Detroit 7.25.11]

Hard to turn this show down, as it's always nice when you want to see the opener almost as much as the headliner. And as if in a self-fulfilling prophecy, I enjoyed the set from The Soft Moon more than the set from Interpol, who seemed to be punching the clock rather than kicking the pricks.

TV On The Radio [St. Andrews Hall, Detroit 9.2.11]

At this point in history, I had been to almost twenty years of shows at St. Andrews Hall, including shows in the peak of summer swelter. And yet, in the beginning of September, a blanket of fetid humidity had settled inside the venue, making the show a hot and sweaty mess. Coco couldn't take it, and had to move to the back while I stuck it out as long as I could in the perspiring throng. It was the second version of the Curse of TVOTR, and we vowed not to make it a third time.

Wild Beasts [The Magic Bag, Ferndale 9.30.11]

For a new band, a booking at The Magic Bag can be a blessing or a curse. It's intimate, but it's not optimal for live shows. Hell, it's not even the best music venue in Ferndale, let alone the Detroit area. But to their credit, Wild Beasts brought their A-game and killed it in front of a largely indifferent and passive crowd. At the time, I thought this would be their last Detroit show, and I was correct. A band whose second record was the soundtrack to an exciting time of rebirth and renewal, and a band that no longer exists. Sigh.

Morrissey [Royal Oak Music Theatre 12.18.11]

I first saw Morrissey at the Palace of Auburn Hills in '92, and it's somewhat surprising that he's been able to sustain a career as a solo artist that is over three times as long as his tenure with The Smiths. This show had everything you want from Morrissey -- the hits, the esoteric cuts, the Smiths faves, and some slaughterhouse footage that makes you want to kill yourself out of grief and shame. A perfect Morrissey show, and a good way to cap the year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NBC -- Never Believe Contracts

Whatever side you're falling on in the recent NBC late-night "deck chairs on the Titanic " shuffle, you have to admit it's been good comedy for all parties involved. While Letterman and Craig Ferguson have been sharp (especially Letterman, who has been gleeful in his "I told you so" vitriol), the best bits have come from Leno and O'Brien. Evidence: It's hard to follow all the angles here, but two things are clear: NBC violated Leno's contract (guaranteeing the 10pm slot), and NBC didn't violate O'Brien's contract (which made no time slot guarantees). So it's not hard to see who the loser here will be. O'Brien won't get the show he wants, Leno will step into a hollow echo of his past success, and tens of millions of dollars will be up in the air. Only Jimmy Fallon will continue to gestate his talent relatively unmolested, and his security is merely a function of the low expectations of his time slot. Meanwhile, CBS (a

"The Silver Gun" by Robert Palmer (1983)

I mean...Urdu? Seriously, Urdu . On an already eclectic and worldly album -- Pride , from 1983 -- "The Silver Gun" closes a chapter in Robert Palmer's career by singing a song about a horse in a language spoken daily by over 100 million people. The liquid bass line and propulsive electronics set out a bedrock for Palmer to ping phrasings rather out of place in Western music, askew astride even the peripatetic minimalism of the rest of the record. Somehow, in the middle of Michigan's Appalachia, I had this on vinyl a few years before the CD era officially commenced. It was an album of effort -- even the cover, a pointillism-and-bronze work, had Palmer's head barely above the water -- but the stitches didn't show to my pre-adolescent eyes and ears. In a career marked by zigs and zags, Pride and "The Silver Gun" were most certainly Other, and for a kid that felt like he didn't belong much of anywhere, it was nice to have those discrete feeling

"I'll Drive You Home"

Upon reflection, I’ve had a fortunate life in the area of work. As a freshly minted teenager, I would visit Evergreen Park Grocery and dream of someday working there like my father did, and at the age of 14, I got $2/hour to live out that dream, such as it was. From there, I yearned to try other occupations, from record stores to teaching, and I’d be chuffed to tell Young Erick that both of those things happened in due course. ( Oh, and Young Erick, one of them got you to meet David Bowie, and one of them got you to own houses and cars, so I’ll let you ponder on which one was better. ) I even got to DJ a bit here and there, and while it never hit the heights of a professional radio gig, it was certainly better than the summer I played preset cassettes on my boom box for a nerd camp dance while my unrequited crush stayed in her room. What I never crossed off my professional life list was acting, either regular or voice, but while I still yearn for that big breakthrough -- seriously, ask