Skip to main content

Some '18 Favorites (Movie Version)

Now and again, I ponder as to what this incessant listing is for. Is it a means to place order onto a chaotic world? Do I list to help relieve my sieve-like memory of the pressure of remembering shit? And what does it mean to have a "Best Of 2018!" list when there are a few films from this year that I haven't seen yet, films that will undoubtedly plop onto this list? Do I help reinforce the ideas that people have about me with my choices? So many questions. Here are some answers as to my favorite (and not-so-favorite) movies that I saw this year.

I'd Buy That For A Dollar (the faves of the favorites)

Mandy 
Annihilation 
Mission: Impossible – Fallout 
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 
Paddington 2 
First Reformed 
Upgrade 

For those who know me even a little bit, you'll know why at least half these titles are the tip of the top, so I shouldn't have to keep banging on as to why these movies are just as awesome as can be. But while I'm here, let me say that the newest MI installment is possibly the best of the franchise, while also being one of the top five "holy shit, Tom Cruise is fucking obsessed" cinematic experiences of my life, in IMAX, no less.

80 Cents On The Dollar (pretty damn good stuff)

The Tale 
Eighth Grade 
Lean On Pete 
Won’t You Be My Neighbor? 
You Were Never Really Here 
Blindspotting 
Support The Girls 
Hereditary 
The Old Man and The Gun 
Widows
Sorry To Bother You
Summer of 84
Black Panther

Again, all winners here, but let me rep for two in particular: The Tale (which rides a predictably great performance from Laura Dern into the genuinely disturbing thematic territory of the stories we tell ourselves to obfuscate some ugly fucking truths, truths that only HBO could distribute after the movie exploded at the Sundance Film Festival) and Summer of 84 (a Canadian gloss on superficial '80s American film tropes, until a ballsy pivot at the end which recast the entire film into a reflection on the last days of American perceived exceptionalism running smack-dab into a frightening and unknown future of terror and dread). All the above movies were solid, but these two in particular should not have flown so far under the radar. I mean, have you heard of either before now?

Two Bits (entertaining and compelling, if not essential)

Wildlife 
First Man 
A Simple Favor 
Avengers: Infinity War 
Ant Man and The Wasp 
They Shall Not Grow Old 
Jane Fonda in Five Acts 
Golden Exits 
A Quiet Place 
A Star Is Born 
Game Night 
Three Identical Strangers 
The Death of Stalin 
Isle of Dogs 
Blackkklansman 
Tully 
Ready Player One 
Solo: A Star Wars Story 
Deadpool 2 
Juliet, Naked 
Thoroughbreds 

Good shit from top to bottom, although for personal and technological achievement, They Shall Not Grow Old should be on the 80 Cents list. And is it just me, or did Ant Man and The Wasp > Avengers: Infinity War? It's just me, right?

The Buffalo Nickel (lower in value, but still peculiar enough to remember)

Venom 
Under The Silver Lake

Let me start this reclamation project by saying that neither Venom or Under The Silver Lake can be objectively called "good" movies. And yet, here I am, talking about both in more detail than I gave Paddington 2 (which, in a just world, should get Hugh Grant an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor).

Venom achieves the impossible, in that a movie featuring one of Spider-Man's best known villain-turned-antihero foils fails to incorporate Spider-Man in the slightest, in that a movie where the title character FUCKING EATS PEOPLE gets a PG-13 rating. Venom is a movie featuring Tom Hardy acting in a completely different movie than the rest of the cast, a movie so reliant on CG that the viewer is immediately disconnected from basic cinematic tropes like suspension of disbelief and narrative consistency. So of course it made hundreds of millions of dollars. Of course a sequel is forthcoming. But will Tom Hardy play Eddie Brock like one of the Krays, or like his character in Inception, or like a mixture of both? Only time and the box office will tell.

Under The Silver Lake is the latest offering from David Robert Mitchell, who directed the delightful one-two punch of The Myth Of The American Sleepover and It Follows. However, his new film is a meandering picaresque a la 1973's The Long Goodbye, but without Altman's narrative grounding and cinematic elasticity. It wants to be a lot of things -- a splash of Hitchcock (literally spelled out for the viewer at one point), a dash of Paul Thomas Anderson, a pinch of Tarsem Singh -- but the 2+ hours of deleterious pondering just doesn't cohere into anything of weight. It's similar to Richard Kelly following the elliptical and focused Donnie Darko with the swing-for-the-fences scope of Southland Tales. Let's hope an analog of The Box isn't next for David Robert Mitchell, whom I still believe to be a filmmaker of talent and vision.

At any rate, if anyone is interested in my specific thoughts on the others, please feel free to engage. But I just want to recall how I spent a slice of my 2018, so a list it is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NBC -- Never Believe Contracts

Whatever side you're falling on in the recent NBC late-night "deck chairs on the Titanic " shuffle, you have to admit it's been good comedy for all parties involved. While Letterman and Craig Ferguson have been sharp (especially Letterman, who has been gleeful in his "I told you so" vitriol), the best bits have come from Leno and O'Brien. Evidence: It's hard to follow all the angles here, but two things are clear: NBC violated Leno's contract (guaranteeing the 10pm slot), and NBC didn't violate O'Brien's contract (which made no time slot guarantees). So it's not hard to see who the loser here will be. O'Brien won't get the show he wants, Leno will step into a hollow echo of his past success, and tens of millions of dollars will be up in the air. Only Jimmy Fallon will continue to gestate his talent relatively unmolested, and his security is merely a function of the low expectations of his time slot. Meanwhile, CBS (a

"The Silver Gun" by Robert Palmer (1983)

I mean...Urdu? Seriously, Urdu . On an already eclectic and worldly album -- Pride , from 1983 -- "The Silver Gun" closes a chapter in Robert Palmer's career by singing a song about a horse in a language spoken daily by over 100 million people. The liquid bass line and propulsive electronics set out a bedrock for Palmer to ping phrasings rather out of place in Western music, askew astride even the peripatetic minimalism of the rest of the record. Somehow, in the middle of Michigan's Appalachia, I had this on vinyl a few years before the CD era officially commenced. It was an album of effort -- even the cover, a pointillism-and-bronze work, had Palmer's head barely above the water -- but the stitches didn't show to my pre-adolescent eyes and ears. In a career marked by zigs and zags, Pride and "The Silver Gun" were most certainly Other, and for a kid that felt like he didn't belong much of anywhere, it was nice to have those discrete feeling

"I'll Drive You Home"

Upon reflection, I’ve had a fortunate life in the area of work. As a freshly minted teenager, I would visit Evergreen Park Grocery and dream of someday working there like my father did, and at the age of 14, I got $2/hour to live out that dream, such as it was. From there, I yearned to try other occupations, from record stores to teaching, and I’d be chuffed to tell Young Erick that both of those things happened in due course. ( Oh, and Young Erick, one of them got you to meet David Bowie, and one of them got you to own houses and cars, so I’ll let you ponder on which one was better. ) I even got to DJ a bit here and there, and while it never hit the heights of a professional radio gig, it was certainly better than the summer I played preset cassettes on my boom box for a nerd camp dance while my unrequited crush stayed in her room. What I never crossed off my professional life list was acting, either regular or voice, but while I still yearn for that big breakthrough -- seriously, ask