Skip to main content

Carl E. N.

One of the reasons that I keep using Facebook, aside from it being the easiest path of connection to my family and friends, is that I play Scrabble through it. Now, I’m not great at Scrabble, as I’m not great at most things, but I feel that it gives me a bit more cognitive stimulation than Solitare or any of the iterations of Candy Crush, so I keep at it. Typically, I play with random Facebook folks, but every now and again, I’ll play against the same person for a few different games over the course of a couple weeks.

And then, there’s the case of Carl E. N. to consider.

Now, I wouldn’t call myself a social player, in that I don’t chat with my opponents. (I did here and there back in the day when I first started playing, but after a few bad actors — boring obscenities, puzzling statements, a couple dudes talking shit like they were playing for their varsity letter in Scrabble — I cut that shit out.) And after a couple consecutive games with the same person, I’ll tap out or they will, moving on to the next fish in the digital sea. But for the better part of this year, Carl E. N. and I have played a couple games per week without fail and without chatter.

Over the dozens of games I’ve played with Carl E. N., he’s won exactly one game. And in the rest of the games, Carl E. N. has struggled a little or a lot. But he keeps playing, win or lose, week in and week out. That is, until this past week. You see, Carl E. N. hasn’t taken his turn in over five days, which has never happened in our Scrabble time together. And the worst thing is that I can’t check on him to see if he’s okay, as we’ve never shared a conversation. All I know about him is his screen name and his photo, grainy and small, an older white man smiling with the look of someone who is of a kind nature.

It’s yet another example of the uncanny nature of the internet, where you could play a game with someone for months on end and never know anything about that person, other than the fact that the person is as part of your daily experience as the sunrise and a balanced breakfast and an afternoon yawn, and as comforting as all of those and more. So if you’re out there, Carl E. N., please come back to the Scrabble board, or at least let me know that you’re still around, perhaps finding something to do in life that’s richer than moving letter tiles on a computer screen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NBC -- Never Believe Contracts

Whatever side you're falling on in the recent NBC late-night "deck chairs on the Titanic " shuffle, you have to admit it's been good comedy for all parties involved. While Letterman and Craig Ferguson have been sharp (especially Letterman, who has been gleeful in his "I told you so" vitriol), the best bits have come from Leno and O'Brien. Evidence: It's hard to follow all the angles here, but two things are clear: NBC violated Leno's contract (guaranteeing the 10pm slot), and NBC didn't violate O'Brien's contract (which made no time slot guarantees). So it's not hard to see who the loser here will be. O'Brien won't get the show he wants, Leno will step into a hollow echo of his past success, and tens of millions of dollars will be up in the air. Only Jimmy Fallon will continue to gestate his talent relatively unmolested, and his security is merely a function of the low expectations of his time slot. Meanwhile, CBS (a

"The Silver Gun" by Robert Palmer (1983)

I mean...Urdu? Seriously, Urdu . On an already eclectic and worldly album -- Pride , from 1983 -- "The Silver Gun" closes a chapter in Robert Palmer's career by singing a song about a horse in a language spoken daily by over 100 million people. The liquid bass line and propulsive electronics set out a bedrock for Palmer to ping phrasings rather out of place in Western music, askew astride even the peripatetic minimalism of the rest of the record. Somehow, in the middle of Michigan's Appalachia, I had this on vinyl a few years before the CD era officially commenced. It was an album of effort -- even the cover, a pointillism-and-bronze work, had Palmer's head barely above the water -- but the stitches didn't show to my pre-adolescent eyes and ears. In a career marked by zigs and zags, Pride and "The Silver Gun" were most certainly Other, and for a kid that felt like he didn't belong much of anywhere, it was nice to have those discrete feeling

"I'll Drive You Home"

Upon reflection, I’ve had a fortunate life in the area of work. As a freshly minted teenager, I would visit Evergreen Park Grocery and dream of someday working there like my father did, and at the age of 14, I got $2/hour to live out that dream, such as it was. From there, I yearned to try other occupations, from record stores to teaching, and I’d be chuffed to tell Young Erick that both of those things happened in due course. ( Oh, and Young Erick, one of them got you to meet David Bowie, and one of them got you to own houses and cars, so I’ll let you ponder on which one was better. ) I even got to DJ a bit here and there, and while it never hit the heights of a professional radio gig, it was certainly better than the summer I played preset cassettes on my boom box for a nerd camp dance while my unrequited crush stayed in her room. What I never crossed off my professional life list was acting, either regular or voice, but while I still yearn for that big breakthrough -- seriously, ask