Skip to main content

The Film & Literature of Stephen King -- What Might Have Been...

In the past two weeks, I finished Doctor Sleep (the Stephen King book) and the director's cut of Doctor Sleep (the film written and directed by Mike Flanagan, who also did SK's Gerald's Game for Netflix in 2017). While I was interested in both just for entertainment value -- anything to distract from the rank shitshow of everyday life, right? -- I was also prepping for a section of Film & Literature at NCMC that was entirely focused on Stephen King. Sadly, there weren't enough students for the course to run, but I'm still thinking of how I was going to deliver the course.

In general, Stephen King seems to hit some form of six major themes in his work. And while looking at just those themes in his stories would be interesting enough, the extra dimension is to see how they get translated to film, what is kept and what is jettisoned as King on the page makes it to the stage. Aside from the darkly comic coked-out phantasmagoria of 1986's Maximum Overdrive that remains the only motion picture directed by SK, "a Stephen King film" can mean a lot of different things, largely dependent on the talent involved in the adaptations.

Film adaptations, television adaptations, and even whatever the hell 2008's "N" was -- the visual expressions of Stephen King's artistic creations can vary wildly. For every It, there's It Chapter 2. You get The Shining, but you also get The Dark Tower. "Hit & Miss" works not only to describe the Stephen King cinematic canon, but also a hypothetical collection of SK short stories that have yet to be written. And yet, the themes remain pretty constant. For me, looking at SK in an academic framework is like training wheels for a more nuanced literary analysis, a gateway drug for thinking critically about "low" art while finding it perhaps not so "low" after all.

For your consideration, here are the major themes, along with a few limited examples I planned on hitting in class. Your mileage, Constant Reader, will vary.

[1] “Lost” Children: Carrie; Firestarter; It; Hearts In Atlantis; Children Of The Corn; The Eyes Of The Dragon 

[2] Technology: The Stand; The Running Man; Cell; Christine; Graveyard Shift; Word Processor Of The Gods 

[3] Prison: The Green Mile; Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption 

[4] Parapsychology: N.; Carrie; 1408; Firestarter; The Shining; Secret Window, Secret Garden; The Dark Half, Everything’s Eventual, The Things They Left Behind 

[5] Maternal Archetypes: Carrie; Cujo; Misery; The Shining; Rose Madder 

[6] Paternal Archetypes: Apt Pupil; Pet Semetary; The Stand; Salem’s Lot

I mean, the above looks like it would add up to an interesting class, amirite? I didn't even include two of my SK favorites: On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft (2000) and Guns, the non-fiction essay he wrote in 2013. I'm not sure how I would have wedged them in, and now, sadly, I'll never know. Teaching classes like this at NCMC in the immediate future most likely won't happen, so here it remains, a good idea that I would have adequately executed to a slim minority of semi-interested students. Enjoy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NBC -- Never Believe Contracts

Whatever side you're falling on in the recent NBC late-night "deck chairs on the Titanic " shuffle, you have to admit it's been good comedy for all parties involved. While Letterman and Craig Ferguson have been sharp (especially Letterman, who has been gleeful in his "I told you so" vitriol), the best bits have come from Leno and O'Brien. Evidence: It's hard to follow all the angles here, but two things are clear: NBC violated Leno's contract (guaranteeing the 10pm slot), and NBC didn't violate O'Brien's contract (which made no time slot guarantees). So it's not hard to see who the loser here will be. O'Brien won't get the show he wants, Leno will step into a hollow echo of his past success, and tens of millions of dollars will be up in the air. Only Jimmy Fallon will continue to gestate his talent relatively unmolested, and his security is merely a function of the low expectations of his time slot. Meanwhile, CBS (a

"The Silver Gun" by Robert Palmer (1983)

I mean...Urdu? Seriously, Urdu . On an already eclectic and worldly album -- Pride , from 1983 -- "The Silver Gun" closes a chapter in Robert Palmer's career by singing a song about a horse in a language spoken daily by over 100 million people. The liquid bass line and propulsive electronics set out a bedrock for Palmer to ping phrasings rather out of place in Western music, askew astride even the peripatetic minimalism of the rest of the record. Somehow, in the middle of Michigan's Appalachia, I had this on vinyl a few years before the CD era officially commenced. It was an album of effort -- even the cover, a pointillism-and-bronze work, had Palmer's head barely above the water -- but the stitches didn't show to my pre-adolescent eyes and ears. In a career marked by zigs and zags, Pride and "The Silver Gun" were most certainly Other, and for a kid that felt like he didn't belong much of anywhere, it was nice to have those discrete feeling

"I'll Drive You Home"

Upon reflection, I’ve had a fortunate life in the area of work. As a freshly minted teenager, I would visit Evergreen Park Grocery and dream of someday working there like my father did, and at the age of 14, I got $2/hour to live out that dream, such as it was. From there, I yearned to try other occupations, from record stores to teaching, and I’d be chuffed to tell Young Erick that both of those things happened in due course. ( Oh, and Young Erick, one of them got you to meet David Bowie, and one of them got you to own houses and cars, so I’ll let you ponder on which one was better. ) I even got to DJ a bit here and there, and while it never hit the heights of a professional radio gig, it was certainly better than the summer I played preset cassettes on my boom box for a nerd camp dance while my unrequited crush stayed in her room. What I never crossed off my professional life list was acting, either regular or voice, but while I still yearn for that big breakthrough -- seriously, ask