Skip to main content

Scrabble and the Impermanent Life

In a year not half-finished replete with change and loss -- a year that will feature prominently in history books, should those things remain in the future -- it seems churlish and childish to bitch about having Scrabble for iPad taken away, but here I am regardless.

I started playing Scrabble for iPad on 16 November 2011 -- on my first iPad, living in the first home I ever bought just outside of Petoskey -- and played until 5 June 2020, at which point the app was no longer supported. In that span of time over not quite a decade, I had a record of 5792 wins and 4369 losses and 16 ties, with a winning percentage of 56%, although it was most likely a few points lower, as I had to force forfeit some dummies who had a week to move but didn't. I had 2499 bingos -- all seven tiles played in one turn -- with my best bingo ("talkings") hitting two triple-word scores for a total score of 204. In short, I won more games than I lost, and every now and again, I won big.

I usually played at least 20 games at a time, usually with complete strangers. Sometimes, those folks would play me again (as I've written about before with Carl), but usually, it would be different people with each new game. Every now and again, there would be rote compliments exchanged via the Chat feature, but most often, it would just be the game played until completion, played in silence. There were no ads, no crass gamification badges, and no funky tiles. Instead, it was a one-time fee for the app, and then the game was afoot. I played in airports and hotels, bathrooms and beds, in sunshine and in storms. And then it stopped.

Media consolidation and the in-app purchase model guaranteed that Scrabble for iPad would morph into something more potentially profitable for the parent company, and so it is that the add-supported ScrabbleGo is now the only Scrabble-branded platform available. And unless you select the "Classic" option, you'll be bombarded with animations and digital fireworks and ads for back braces at a striking rate. (The ads are still there in the Classic version, but not after every turn.) I'm still playing multiple games per day, but it's a compromised experience that makes me wish for what I had. Real life offers far too many instances of that set of sensations, so I hoped against hope that I would still have the Scrabble to which I had grown accustomed. I just wish I knew the word for that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NBC -- Never Believe Contracts

Whatever side you're falling on in the recent NBC late-night "deck chairs on the Titanic " shuffle, you have to admit it's been good comedy for all parties involved. While Letterman and Craig Ferguson have been sharp (especially Letterman, who has been gleeful in his "I told you so" vitriol), the best bits have come from Leno and O'Brien. Evidence: It's hard to follow all the angles here, but two things are clear: NBC violated Leno's contract (guaranteeing the 10pm slot), and NBC didn't violate O'Brien's contract (which made no time slot guarantees). So it's not hard to see who the loser here will be. O'Brien won't get the show he wants, Leno will step into a hollow echo of his past success, and tens of millions of dollars will be up in the air. Only Jimmy Fallon will continue to gestate his talent relatively unmolested, and his security is merely a function of the low expectations of his time slot. Meanwhile, CBS (a

"The Silver Gun" by Robert Palmer (1983)

I mean...Urdu? Seriously, Urdu . On an already eclectic and worldly album -- Pride , from 1983 -- "The Silver Gun" closes a chapter in Robert Palmer's career by singing a song about a horse in a language spoken daily by over 100 million people. The liquid bass line and propulsive electronics set out a bedrock for Palmer to ping phrasings rather out of place in Western music, askew astride even the peripatetic minimalism of the rest of the record. Somehow, in the middle of Michigan's Appalachia, I had this on vinyl a few years before the CD era officially commenced. It was an album of effort -- even the cover, a pointillism-and-bronze work, had Palmer's head barely above the water -- but the stitches didn't show to my pre-adolescent eyes and ears. In a career marked by zigs and zags, Pride and "The Silver Gun" were most certainly Other, and for a kid that felt like he didn't belong much of anywhere, it was nice to have those discrete feeling

"I'll Drive You Home"

Upon reflection, I’ve had a fortunate life in the area of work. As a freshly minted teenager, I would visit Evergreen Park Grocery and dream of someday working there like my father did, and at the age of 14, I got $2/hour to live out that dream, such as it was. From there, I yearned to try other occupations, from record stores to teaching, and I’d be chuffed to tell Young Erick that both of those things happened in due course. ( Oh, and Young Erick, one of them got you to meet David Bowie, and one of them got you to own houses and cars, so I’ll let you ponder on which one was better. ) I even got to DJ a bit here and there, and while it never hit the heights of a professional radio gig, it was certainly better than the summer I played preset cassettes on my boom box for a nerd camp dance while my unrequited crush stayed in her room. What I never crossed off my professional life list was acting, either regular or voice, but while I still yearn for that big breakthrough -- seriously, ask