Skip to main content

Voice Over

When I was a kid, I was captivated by the field of acting, but especially the voice actors in animation. Don Smart as Tennessee Tuxedo, June Foray as Rocky, Casey Kasem as both Shaggy AND Robin...I tried imitating them all as a kid, with little to no success. But my absolute hero was Mel Blanc, the Warner Bros. staple who could seemingly do anything with his voice, even imitate his own imitations:



Of the many failures in my life, the fact that I have neither the talent nor drive to be a paid voice actor stings the most, because I'm constantly attempting to do voices, to the consternation of my friends and family and students and passers-by, and I can delude myself into thinking I'm not horrible at a few of them.

Like many kids, I briefly did acting in high school in a Theater class, where the failed voice actor temporarily became the failed actor. In my two years in Theater, at least the gamut of failure was wide (from what I can remember), as I played Sherlock Holmes, Fagin from Oliver Twist, The Wicked Witch in Snow White, an off-stage "Voice of Doom," the Tin Man in a brief scene from The Wizard of Oz, and Gregor Samsa in a brief scene from Kafka's The Metamorphosis. Ever see a 6'6" kid just shy of 160 lbs. try to pretend to be a cockroach on a stage?

I also had two other parts where I brought my shallow set of skills to bear in two different one-act plays. In one, I was the cowed boyfriend of a '50s femme fatale, and in the other, I was an obliging '40s elevator operator. Because I still had echoes of the peripatetic talent of Mel Blanc ringing in my head, I decided to bring something not on the page to both parts, inspired by the voice who could do anything. (That's right...I'm blaming Mel Blanc for what follows.) For the boyfriend, I decided to play him as lisping and closeted -- which certainly brought another dimension to the role -- and for the elevator operator, I dusted off my best blackface/"Amos & Andy" patois. And since it was the late '80s, and since I was the son and grandson of prominent educators in our small community, I was never told that maybe, just maybe, I might wish to rethink those choices.

I thought about those experiences over the past three days as several white voice actors such as Allison Brie and Jenny Slate came to the understanding that they shouldn't play non-white roles. Granted, this understanding isn't a new thing, as Hank Azaria (featured in the above video) has been playing non-white characters on The Simpsons for decades, but it's interesting to see the recent volume and velocity of this sea change in the perception of voice acting. I have to admit that when I was initially confronted with this news, my contrarian streak popped up, helped no doubt by the voices of Mel Blanc that still ricochet through my head from time to time. I mean, Bart Simpson is voiced by a middle-aged woman, and Bobby Hill from King Of The Hill was voiced by Pamela Adlon, so why can't we let actors act, gender and age and, yes, race be damned?

But of course, that take on race -- just like my racist-as-shit teenage turn as a capital-S Stereotypical elevator operator, a skinny white kid with a cast on one ankle pretending to be an older African-American worker not two generations removed from fucking SLAVERY, and pretending poorly at that -- is ignorant and wrong. There's enough talent in 21st Century voice acting to represent as many different people as possible, and when we hear different voices, we might get to hear different stories. The systems in place didn't allow those voices to be literally and figuratively heard at the time, but to challenge and overturn those systems now has the potential to benefit everyone involved in the creative process. At heart, I'm just still jealous that I'm not part of anyone's creative process, so Tom Root (co-creator of Robot Chicken and my former editor at my college newspaper CM Life back in the '90s), if you're out there, wanna take a chance on a middle-aged white guy? I do a pretty solid Jeff Goldblum.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NBC -- Never Believe Contracts

Whatever side you're falling on in the recent NBC late-night "deck chairs on the Titanic " shuffle, you have to admit it's been good comedy for all parties involved. While Letterman and Craig Ferguson have been sharp (especially Letterman, who has been gleeful in his "I told you so" vitriol), the best bits have come from Leno and O'Brien. Evidence: It's hard to follow all the angles here, but two things are clear: NBC violated Leno's contract (guaranteeing the 10pm slot), and NBC didn't violate O'Brien's contract (which made no time slot guarantees). So it's not hard to see who the loser here will be. O'Brien won't get the show he wants, Leno will step into a hollow echo of his past success, and tens of millions of dollars will be up in the air. Only Jimmy Fallon will continue to gestate his talent relatively unmolested, and his security is merely a function of the low expectations of his time slot. Meanwhile, CBS (a

"The Silver Gun" by Robert Palmer (1983)

I mean...Urdu? Seriously, Urdu . On an already eclectic and worldly album -- Pride , from 1983 -- "The Silver Gun" closes a chapter in Robert Palmer's career by singing a song about a horse in a language spoken daily by over 100 million people. The liquid bass line and propulsive electronics set out a bedrock for Palmer to ping phrasings rather out of place in Western music, askew astride even the peripatetic minimalism of the rest of the record. Somehow, in the middle of Michigan's Appalachia, I had this on vinyl a few years before the CD era officially commenced. It was an album of effort -- even the cover, a pointillism-and-bronze work, had Palmer's head barely above the water -- but the stitches didn't show to my pre-adolescent eyes and ears. In a career marked by zigs and zags, Pride and "The Silver Gun" were most certainly Other, and for a kid that felt like he didn't belong much of anywhere, it was nice to have those discrete feeling

"I'll Drive You Home"

Upon reflection, I’ve had a fortunate life in the area of work. As a freshly minted teenager, I would visit Evergreen Park Grocery and dream of someday working there like my father did, and at the age of 14, I got $2/hour to live out that dream, such as it was. From there, I yearned to try other occupations, from record stores to teaching, and I’d be chuffed to tell Young Erick that both of those things happened in due course. ( Oh, and Young Erick, one of them got you to meet David Bowie, and one of them got you to own houses and cars, so I’ll let you ponder on which one was better. ) I even got to DJ a bit here and there, and while it never hit the heights of a professional radio gig, it was certainly better than the summer I played preset cassettes on my boom box for a nerd camp dance while my unrequited crush stayed in her room. What I never crossed off my professional life list was acting, either regular or voice, but while I still yearn for that big breakthrough -- seriously, ask