Skip to main content

Cult Leaders Don't Leave

 


If I'm asked what I'm thinking about at the moment, it's some variation on the fact that the cult leader never leaves the cult on his own volition. Let me give you some context.

It's hard to bitch about experiencing sub-clinical agitated depression when you firmly understand how blessed you truly are when compared to the people around you. After all, when I start talking about why I'm feeling down or out of sorts, I start boring myself almost instantly, so I can only imagine how people on the receiving end of the communication must feel. How fortunate am I? My job has changed, but I still have a job. My housing situation has changed, but I have a stable home. I'm less than two months away from turning 50, but I can say that each birthday is halfway to death and it's a statement more positive with each year. I can do frivolous things like golfing and buying CD's and drinking funky flavors of Mountain Dew straight from the lab and not have to instantly worry about my health or my wealth. I love and am loved.

But hassles aside, the driving force in my instability is knowing how abnormal each day is here in America, "America" as both a land and an idea, with the land constructed on and bloodied by the twin pillars of genocide and slavery and the idea being deconstructed and reconstructed before our very eyes. By embracing irony and cynicism and postmodern operationalizations of facts and truth, the American Left -- heterogeneous and polyglot right down the lines -- checked out in the '70s and left the American Right to play the long game. That long game is the Right's consolidation of wealth and power behind a corrupted confidence game in every sense of the word, moving from Reagan (an objectively horrible President for the majority of Americans) to Trump (somehow even worse on every metric) in the space of four decades, the creation and perpetuation of a fucking cult that may sadly be the most accurate snapshot of the American character. And you can't vote cult leaders out of leadership. That's not how cults function.

A quarter century of exposure to psychological concepts can't help but push me into some dark places as I conjecture what the rest of 2020 will bring. I would expect to see vigilante shootings increase in volume and velocity as we approach the election. I would expect to see Trump's polling numbers go up, especially among those who are strongly motivated to vote. On Election Night, I would expect to see early returns favoring Trump while the actual vote clearly favors Biden, which will then be rejected by Trump and his followers. The divide will be taken to the courts and to the streets, and more Americans will die. And swirling all around are the intractable crises of climate and illness, of stressors chronic and acute, stressors that have no party or religious affiliation. We're never getting back to normal, and the new normal slides further into abnormality with each passing day. In the face of all that, I'd argue that agitated depression is a valid response to the fact that the cult leader never leaves the cult on his own volition.

But enough about me. How are you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NBC -- Never Believe Contracts

Whatever side you're falling on in the recent NBC late-night "deck chairs on the Titanic " shuffle, you have to admit it's been good comedy for all parties involved. While Letterman and Craig Ferguson have been sharp (especially Letterman, who has been gleeful in his "I told you so" vitriol), the best bits have come from Leno and O'Brien. Evidence: It's hard to follow all the angles here, but two things are clear: NBC violated Leno's contract (guaranteeing the 10pm slot), and NBC didn't violate O'Brien's contract (which made no time slot guarantees). So it's not hard to see who the loser here will be. O'Brien won't get the show he wants, Leno will step into a hollow echo of his past success, and tens of millions of dollars will be up in the air. Only Jimmy Fallon will continue to gestate his talent relatively unmolested, and his security is merely a function of the low expectations of his time slot. Meanwhile, CBS (a

"The Silver Gun" by Robert Palmer (1983)

I mean...Urdu? Seriously, Urdu . On an already eclectic and worldly album -- Pride , from 1983 -- "The Silver Gun" closes a chapter in Robert Palmer's career by singing a song about a horse in a language spoken daily by over 100 million people. The liquid bass line and propulsive electronics set out a bedrock for Palmer to ping phrasings rather out of place in Western music, askew astride even the peripatetic minimalism of the rest of the record. Somehow, in the middle of Michigan's Appalachia, I had this on vinyl a few years before the CD era officially commenced. It was an album of effort -- even the cover, a pointillism-and-bronze work, had Palmer's head barely above the water -- but the stitches didn't show to my pre-adolescent eyes and ears. In a career marked by zigs and zags, Pride and "The Silver Gun" were most certainly Other, and for a kid that felt like he didn't belong much of anywhere, it was nice to have those discrete feeling

"I'll Drive You Home"

Upon reflection, I’ve had a fortunate life in the area of work. As a freshly minted teenager, I would visit Evergreen Park Grocery and dream of someday working there like my father did, and at the age of 14, I got $2/hour to live out that dream, such as it was. From there, I yearned to try other occupations, from record stores to teaching, and I’d be chuffed to tell Young Erick that both of those things happened in due course. ( Oh, and Young Erick, one of them got you to meet David Bowie, and one of them got you to own houses and cars, so I’ll let you ponder on which one was better. ) I even got to DJ a bit here and there, and while it never hit the heights of a professional radio gig, it was certainly better than the summer I played preset cassettes on my boom box for a nerd camp dance while my unrequited crush stayed in her room. What I never crossed off my professional life list was acting, either regular or voice, but while I still yearn for that big breakthrough -- seriously, ask