Skip to main content

Kirtland Community College: Be The Future

 

A couple days ago, I decided to swing by the Roscommon campus of Kirtland Community College, one of the 28 public community colleges in Michigan, to check out my old stomping grounds. Like many people who grew up in or near Roscommon, I have some significant personal history with KCC, an outpost of higher learning nestled in the thick jack pine woods, triangulated between Roscommon and Grayling and St. Helen as a rural oasis of academic possibilities. Thanks largely to my step-father Tom Dale, a KCC professor for three decades, I attended classes at KCC for three semesters when it was clear that I wasn't emotionally or financially developed enough to attend Michigan State University, giving me a jump into my time at Central Michigan University. And starting as a 25-year-old Master's student, I taught Intro Psych at KCC from the summer of '96 to the spring of '98, so I wouldn't have my job at North Central Michigan College were it not for my time at KCC.

My memories of Kirtland are many, and they span decades. As a young child, I was attacked by Canadian geese along the front pond until my mother, a KCC student, swatted them away with a fly swatter. I sang songs by Earth, Wind, & Fire in the Performing Arts Auditorium as a high school student, and I ran lights for shows in that same auditorium when I became a KCC student, I played Donkey Kong and ping-pong in the Student Center, often when I should have been in class, I gazed intently at the sample box of psychoactive drugs outside of the Library, and I sat in an office next to my stepfather while reading about David Bowie via Netscape Navigator on a Mac. I walked out of a fetal pig dissection and licked my gloved (but clean) fingers in full view of the incoming students just to get a reaction. I groaned as the older bearded guy in the Nazi swastika t-shirt told me he couldn't wait to take my Intro Psych class next semester. I pulled a dead turkey from the grill of my then-girlfriend's car with her windshield ice scraper. And like many others who spent time at Kirtland, there are even more tales to tell.

Here are a few shots of the now-abandoned Roscommon campus today:






The Student Center and Library buildings have been razed, and the Auditorium and Academic buildings have been closed and left to nature. There is now an 18-hole disc golf course on the campus grounds, and the east side of campus held the ringing sounds of gunfire from the shooting range. The Roscommon campus is currently for sale with an asking price of $6.4M, if you're interested

The KCC of the Now has a main campus just south of Grayling, off 4 Mile Road on I-75, and it is expanding and growing at that location at this very moment. It also has a secondary campus in Gaylord next to the High School, in a building that used to house a few classes from NCMC. And whereas NCMC has spent about $7.4M in some physical renovations, KCC has an investment of over $20M. Not everyone is happy with the abandonment of the Roscommon campus, of course, but one look at the sparkling new Grayling campus -- soon to have a Biggby Coffee location, for fuck's sake -- tells you all you need to know about priorities and intentions for foundational higher education above the tree line.

Given that the demographic trends indicate 20% less high school students in ten years, and given that students have shown a clear preference for OL products rather than F2F experiences, should colleges like KCC and NCMC be doubling down on physical spaces to begin with? And given that KCC went to voters just a few years ago and assured them that their tax dollars would help renovate the Roscommon campus, should those taxpayers be a bit cross when that proved to not be the case? And more selfishly, will I still have a job at NCMC, or will we be absorbed by KCC at some point in the future, or will both colleges be consigned to the dust bin of history?

My hope is that young people will be able to visit the new Grayling KCC campus, framed by the industrial effluent of the Weyerhaeuser plant on one side and the squalling big rigs of the truck stop on the other, and have the same sense of wonder and expectancy that I had as a youth wandering around the leafy green Roscommon KCC campus. As a lower-middle-class kid, I saw Kirtland as a path to something else and something better, and if we hope to have rural communities like Roscommon and Grayling continue to exist in the future, kids need to translate those feelings to attendance and advancement and enrichment of those communities. Otherwise, the towns will end up ghostly and overgrown, with only echoes of what once was and shall never be again. But at least we'll get more disc golf out of the deal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NBC -- Never Believe Contracts

Whatever side you're falling on in the recent NBC late-night "deck chairs on the Titanic " shuffle, you have to admit it's been good comedy for all parties involved. While Letterman and Craig Ferguson have been sharp (especially Letterman, who has been gleeful in his "I told you so" vitriol), the best bits have come from Leno and O'Brien. Evidence: It's hard to follow all the angles here, but two things are clear: NBC violated Leno's contract (guaranteeing the 10pm slot), and NBC didn't violate O'Brien's contract (which made no time slot guarantees). So it's not hard to see who the loser here will be. O'Brien won't get the show he wants, Leno will step into a hollow echo of his past success, and tens of millions of dollars will be up in the air. Only Jimmy Fallon will continue to gestate his talent relatively unmolested, and his security is merely a function of the low expectations of his time slot. Meanwhile, CBS (a

"The Silver Gun" by Robert Palmer (1983)

I mean...Urdu? Seriously, Urdu . On an already eclectic and worldly album -- Pride , from 1983 -- "The Silver Gun" closes a chapter in Robert Palmer's career by singing a song about a horse in a language spoken daily by over 100 million people. The liquid bass line and propulsive electronics set out a bedrock for Palmer to ping phrasings rather out of place in Western music, askew astride even the peripatetic minimalism of the rest of the record. Somehow, in the middle of Michigan's Appalachia, I had this on vinyl a few years before the CD era officially commenced. It was an album of effort -- even the cover, a pointillism-and-bronze work, had Palmer's head barely above the water -- but the stitches didn't show to my pre-adolescent eyes and ears. In a career marked by zigs and zags, Pride and "The Silver Gun" were most certainly Other, and for a kid that felt like he didn't belong much of anywhere, it was nice to have those discrete feeling

"I'll Drive You Home"

Upon reflection, I’ve had a fortunate life in the area of work. As a freshly minted teenager, I would visit Evergreen Park Grocery and dream of someday working there like my father did, and at the age of 14, I got $2/hour to live out that dream, such as it was. From there, I yearned to try other occupations, from record stores to teaching, and I’d be chuffed to tell Young Erick that both of those things happened in due course. ( Oh, and Young Erick, one of them got you to meet David Bowie, and one of them got you to own houses and cars, so I’ll let you ponder on which one was better. ) I even got to DJ a bit here and there, and while it never hit the heights of a professional radio gig, it was certainly better than the summer I played preset cassettes on my boom box for a nerd camp dance while my unrequited crush stayed in her room. What I never crossed off my professional life list was acting, either regular or voice, but while I still yearn for that big breakthrough -- seriously, ask