Skip to main content

"I'll Drive You Home"

Upon reflection, I’ve had a fortunate life in the area of work. As a freshly minted teenager, I would visit Evergreen Park Grocery and dream of someday working there like my father did, and at the age of 14, I got $2/hour to live out that dream, such as it was. From there, I yearned to try other occupations, from record stores to teaching, and I’d be chuffed to tell Young Erick that both of those things happened in due course. (Oh, and Young Erick, one of them got you to meet David Bowie, and one of them got you to own houses and cars, so I’ll let you ponder on which one was better.) I even got to DJ a bit here and there, and while it never hit the heights of a professional radio gig, it was certainly better than the summer I played preset cassettes on my boom box for a nerd camp dance while my unrequited crush stayed in her room.

What I never crossed off my professional life list was acting, either regular or voice, but while I still yearn for that big breakthrough -- seriously, ask me how many times I had variations of the same "SNL Dream" over the years -- I’m pretty sure that I’ll hit the end of the runway without seeing it come to fruition. Even though I acted in high school for two years of Drama, and I could thoughtfully explain to you why and how I made the purposeful acting choices I made for each role, I knew all the way back in 7th grade that having a career as an actor was likely not in the cards, and it can all be boiled down to four words:

I’ll drive you home.” 

This kid had to say that.





If memory serves -- and it most likely doesn't, but regardless -- that's what my character had to say to Wendy Jennette in Mr. Anderson’s class during a Drama unit, and try as I might, the unattractive superskinny kid with huge glasses fixed in permanent Photogrey just couldn’t find the way to make the words work for the small cute nice girl in front of me. I knew the line was supposed to read as seductive and confident, but as I was neither of those things, I kept hitting the wrong emphasis points over and over again, at one point defaulting to more of a Huckleberry Hound patois, which is the farthest thing from erotic one can summon.

The heckling started once it was clear it wasn’t going to happen, with Amy Bailey shouting “HE CAN’T DO IT HE CAN’T DO IT!!!” in her high desperate shrillness, hoping in vain that flatly braying the stunningly obvious would grant her entry into the Cool Girls Court, a mountain she spent most of her young life trying and failing to summit. In the end, my humiliations stretched over vowels and consonants while time crawled on a naked belly, I was put back on the bench where I belonged, armed with the knowledge that there was no psychological path of attractiveness that I could ever vocally summon.

I still yearn for the chance to prove that I can say those four words and, like, mean it, man. But even if some miracle were to occur, isn't it nice to still have things to desire that have yet to materialize? Isn't that what home really is, after all?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NBC -- Never Believe Contracts

Whatever side you're falling on in the recent NBC late-night "deck chairs on the Titanic " shuffle, you have to admit it's been good comedy for all parties involved. While Letterman and Craig Ferguson have been sharp (especially Letterman, who has been gleeful in his "I told you so" vitriol), the best bits have come from Leno and O'Brien. Evidence: It's hard to follow all the angles here, but two things are clear: NBC violated Leno's contract (guaranteeing the 10pm slot), and NBC didn't violate O'Brien's contract (which made no time slot guarantees). So it's not hard to see who the loser here will be. O'Brien won't get the show he wants, Leno will step into a hollow echo of his past success, and tens of millions of dollars will be up in the air. Only Jimmy Fallon will continue to gestate his talent relatively unmolested, and his security is merely a function of the low expectations of his time slot. Meanwhile, CBS (a

"The Silver Gun" by Robert Palmer (1983)

I mean...Urdu? Seriously, Urdu . On an already eclectic and worldly album -- Pride , from 1983 -- "The Silver Gun" closes a chapter in Robert Palmer's career by singing a song about a horse in a language spoken daily by over 100 million people. The liquid bass line and propulsive electronics set out a bedrock for Palmer to ping phrasings rather out of place in Western music, askew astride even the peripatetic minimalism of the rest of the record. Somehow, in the middle of Michigan's Appalachia, I had this on vinyl a few years before the CD era officially commenced. It was an album of effort -- even the cover, a pointillism-and-bronze work, had Palmer's head barely above the water -- but the stitches didn't show to my pre-adolescent eyes and ears. In a career marked by zigs and zags, Pride and "The Silver Gun" were most certainly Other, and for a kid that felt like he didn't belong much of anywhere, it was nice to have those discrete feeling